Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cracked out this card last night and look........

What i was left with.

Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Lots of frost Scott?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, Scott. What did you expect to be left with?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    image Do not get it. An empty case?

Stingray
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    thats how all my crackouts look..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I thought that it would be in worse shape than that. Usually when i crack SGC or GAI they shatter. If this was done carefully it could lead to bad things.
    That was what i was getting at.image
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

I use a technique that leave the case always looking perfect. Never a crack except for the seals themselves.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>Scott,

I use a technique that leave the case always looking perfect. Never a crack except for the seals themselves. >>

What technique is that on the PSA slabs? I have been taking a yard wood sniper (Fiskers) and snipping through the side of the flip about halfway up. The case shatters on the flip and then I can easily peel the top layer from the bottom layer. I did damage one card doing this and I never feel entirely safe when I do it, but it has worked relatively well. Always looking for a better mouse trap.
  • Options
    Scott

the case you show has much frost on the sides. that is exactly what PSA wanted to happen. These are tamper evident slabs. not tamper proof. now I guess that a novice could buy a card in that slab and not know what was going on.

fys I use an exacto knife and the 2 halves come apart at the seams. they do though leave the frost image we see.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought that it would be in worse shape than that. Usually when i crack SGC or GAI they shatter. If this was done carefully it could lead to bad things.
    That was what i was getting at.image >>

This is why I like SGC holders better plus their cards do not move around in the holder.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    If the holder is shattering when you are cracking them, you are doing something totally wrong, and you're far more likely to ruin the card. You shouldn't need to use a dangerous knife either...

A very simple way to do it is to use a small flat head screwdriver, like one someone would use for the screws on a pair of glasses. Just put the tip of the screw driver in the seam on the top edge above the flip, twist it around in a few spots with slight pressure, and within a few seconds, you'll hear the seam coming apart. Once the crack is established, just put the tip of the screwdriver against the flip and begin to pry it apart, then start doing this along the edges all the way around. It comes apart easily, it won't make a mess, you don't need to worry about sharp pieces of plastic flying at your eyes, and the entire crack takes less than 2 minutes.

• Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    You shouldn't need to use a dangerous knife either...

Yup, that happened to me. Almost lost a thumb using a Swiss army knife and it slipped. Would not stop bleeding for 2 hours....ended up in the emergency room for stitches.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You shouldn't need to use a dangerous knife either...

Yup, that happened to me. Almost lost a thumb using a Swiss army knife and it slipped. Would not stop bleeding for 2 hours....ended up in the emergency room for stitches. >>

But did the card survive?image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the exact method A761506 uses.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>
    A very simple way to do it is to use a small flat head screwdriver, like one someone would use for the screws on a pair of glasses. Just put the tip of the screw driver in the seam on the top edge above the flip, twist it around in a few spots with slight pressure, and within a few seconds, you'll hear the seam coming apart. Once the crack is established, just put the tip of the screwdriver against the flip and begin to pry it apart, then start doing this along the edges all the way around. It comes apart easily, it won't make a mess, you don't need to worry about sharp pieces of plastic flying at your eyes, and the entire crack takes less than 2 minutes. >>

i use the same technique, but with a small pocketknife.. i start at one corner, you kinda have to "saw" a couple times until the edges frost, then you can pry it apart with the knife..

·p_A·
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just live with the grade and move on. Am I the only person that does NOT crack these things open!?
  • Options
    After listening to idea's of how to crack a slab.........I think it's quite clear the small screwdriver method would be the wise choice! Exacto knife or other types of knives appear to be a risky proposition. Nasty story on the slip of the swiss army knife there Bryan. Not only do I hope the card survived, but that it regraded higher so you could pay your deductible and co-pay on that E.R. visit on the sale of the card......LOL.

• Options

<< <i>After listening to idea's of how to crack a slab.........I think it's quite clear the small screwdriver method would be the wise choice! Exacto knife or other types of knives appear to be a risky proposition. Nasty story on the slip of the swiss army knife there Bryan. Not only do I hope the card survived, but that it regraded higher so you could pay your deductible and co-pay on that E.R. visit on the sale of the card......LOL. >>

i enjoy the occasional self-stabbing..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Nasty story on the slip of the swiss army knife there Bryan. Not only do I hope the card survived, but that it regraded higher

Fortunately the card survived, but it did not grade higher. Stayed the same. PSA 9.
    In retrospect, it was not worth the blood.
  • Options
    I should have included the fact that when i do use the exacto knife the case/slab is in a vice. At no time am i at risk. To each his own i guess.

larry I do not crack to resubmit. I have cracked a few cards to add to my raw sets though.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I just live with the grade and move on. Am I the only person that does NOT crack these things open!?

I never have either and don't see why I ever would.

Curious why collectors crack them open at all? Send to another company for higher grade or resubmit for higher grade... both profit driven reasons which I'm sure many dealers engage in, but if it's your cards and you're not selling it, why go through the trouble? Just wondering...

Thanks.
  • Options
    ·p_A·