Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know anything about this medal?

Im not much of a medal man myself, but I recently purchased this as St: George and the dragon always looks nice. image

Other then that I know who´s on the front of it, I dont know anything about the medal. Will appriceate any info or guesses that anyone might have.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I believe that these St George medals were originally attributed to Kremnitz in Hungary. I've always liked these and have several examples ranging from quarter size to half dollar size, including one in gold of ducat weight. They're usually looped for wear and I believe they're a religious/good luck piece. Most, if not all, are private issues. Yours looks a bit later, and I don't know if these are still in production somewhere.

The obverse has S George fighting the dragon. The reverese illustrates the bible story of the alarmed apostles waking Christ (note the halo on the figure to left on the boat) during a storm on the sea. The legend is something like, Security in the face of a storm (or tempest).

This general type is used on several papal medals as well. According to Roma Resurgens the type made reference to the long war in Hungary against the Turks during the 16th and 17th centuries so the place of minting is appropriate.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I have one of these. I believe it to be just a novelty item.

Ray
  • Options
    Here's the ducat sized gold piece that my spouse has on a chain. I don't know if they're a novelty item per se, but they seem to have some history behind them and, given the usual low price, are worth having one or two if the notion strikes.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I think you will find that St George is the patron saint of sailors and these are "saints medals" to provide protection to the sailors upon the (stormy) seas. The sailors version of a St Christophers Medal.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your info guys. image
  • Options
    Looking at Condor's last comment, I looked around a bit and found that "Saint George is the Patron Saint of Boy Scouts, Soldiers, Farmers and England." Equitum is actually a reference to the military (army esp) so sailors would be covered. Somewhat modified medals are still being sold today in religious good stores. I'm not sure that the reverse ONLY references to the seas (cf the papal reference mentioned before) but it would certainly work as well.

A lot of fun for what's often a left behind item!

• Options
    If you wait long enough, everything seems to show up on ebay. Here's a taler sized one of these, apparantly early with an attribution.

linky