Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: You folks are smarter than the people on the OF, I'll bet you can help!

With these.

Thank you!image
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help, but I like them a lot. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I don't think we're any smarter than the average OF member - just better educated and more polite and considerate of others.image

I agree with Shiroh that the subjects are Kabuki actors, and my inclination would be to date them as late Tokugawa Era - perhaps 1820-65.

There is no question that they are not Hiroshige or Hokusai works, although they are very nice, with (very) slight style similarities to Utamaro, particularly in the shape of the faces.

If they were mine, I would send images to Rolf Degner in Germany for his expert opinion.
    Roy

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That last bit of advice is the best I have gotten so far! Thank you Roy!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Dear Mortus-san,

....in case nobody mentioned it over there.image

<< <i>"Die in a fire." >>

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭

<< <i>Dear Mortus-san,

....in case nobody mentioned it over there.image

<< <i>"Die in a fire." >>

>>

But how can he die when he's dead already? image
    imageimage
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Oh and Mac, you forgot "horrible" image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mac, can you tell me what sort of fire you have in mind? I would hate to go to the trouble of smoking while filling my gas take only to find out you had bought me Great White tickets.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh and Mac, you forgot "horrible" image >>

I humbly beg the Forum's forgiveness for this oversight.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Don't tell Thiggy.

Mortus, I'll pass this thread along to Machiko upon my return to work.....
  • Options

<< <i>Mortus, I'll pass this thread along to Machiko upon my return to work..... >>

Vielen dank fur der Mac!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Probably fairly contemporary (for the period-i.e. when Goldbergs existed-40's or 50's?). My parents had similar reproductions from that time period that they framed and hung on our walls that I remember to this day. If they are older, the intrinsic value they have is attached to their relative older age as an early 20th or late 19th century reproduction and are probably not original prints.

The collector market in this field is strong enough that as an original print (s) they would have gone for serious money. Having said that, maybe every one was asleep at the switch and you have a real bargain. I wish you well!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>The collector market in this field is strong enough that as an original print (s) they would have gone for serious money. >>

Not necessarily. It would depend on the auction house, and whether it was advertised in a manner to attract serious woodblock print collectors.

I've seen (and even bought) some fantastic Japanese art bargains when an item's owner doesn't know what it's worth, or even what it is (think inheritor), and the gallery has no expertise in the class of goods being offered.

Roy