Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin identity

Hello everyone. I'm a brand newbie and need some help identifying a coin. It is worn to about a G-4 condition, and I think it is British, but I'm not sure, and it is:

Copper, 39 mm
Weighs 29 grams
Has large "40" in central circle w/ surrounding wreath
Other side has narrow shield w/ possibly 13 stars on bottom, half wreath from bottom and some sort of cap / crown on the top.

I am certainly not going to retire on this, but I can't find it in any of my referance books or any at the library.

Any assistance on identity of this will be greatly appreciated.
If the fire of what you are doing isn't there...Run fast to a new bonfire with your marshmellows!

Comments

• Options
    image Any chance of photo or scan?
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a Portugal 40 Reis from 1820-1830s.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Try Brazil. Probably a counterstamped 40 reis circa 1835.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brazil was my guess, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, BTW-

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'm just now figuring out how to take digital photos, I'm hoping to get it done today or tomorrow. I'll try the scanner...what a great idea!

If the fire of what you are doing isn't there...Run fast to a new bonfire with your marshmellows!
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll look those up to see.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the coin look like Portugal?

Or maybe like Brazil?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Dude!

I'd also guess a counterstamped 40 Reis from Brazil, 1830s.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaan,

GREAT call. The Brazilian 40 Reis is the winner. The only differance is that mine has the 40 inside a circle with horizontal lines in the background. It's undoubtedly a variation of an earlier or later series of the coin. The shield and crown are near matches.

Mystery solved. Guess I'll have to go to work tomorrow...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Dude, does it look like these:

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22