Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What do you all think about this issue?

I bought 68 singles from a guy a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. Shipping was 2 bucks for the 1st. card and 50 cents every card thereafter. I got the cards today wedged into 6 card saver 1's! one card saver alone had 15 cards pushed into it. This obviously doesn't do wonders for the bottom two corners on the cards.

Not too mention that the actual shipping total was $1.95 and I paid $35.50. I knew the shipping before I bid but would asking that the cards be shipped each in their own sleeve be too much to ask?

Should I ask for a refund?

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd definitely demand a refund of the shipping! Yes, from what you said, the shipping was stated and understood, but that also creates an expectation on the buyer's part that the shipping charge will actually go TO the shipping.

The seller in this case, didn't uphold his end of the deal.

As I said, I would definitely demand a refund, and if the seller didn't give one, I would seriously consider giving him a negative for each and every card that was damaged by his poor shipping method.

Steve
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will
    You paid 35 bucks in shipping?
    There should be a max on raw cards - first few at 50 cents then like 10 bucks max or something.
    I think I would have arranged that before but that's criminal - if you paid via paypal - I would try to get some kind of a refund forced on the guy.
    But, he plainly stated that in his description - so you may be SOL.

good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • I think you, and everybody else that asks questions like this on these boards, should just reply to the seller as you see fit.

This is getting to be a bit much here. This is not the ebay complaint department, and honestly, if you can't handle trivial and minor issues like this on your own without first asking opinions and advice from people you don't know on some internet message board, then you probably shouldn't be buying things on the internet in the first place.

There, I said. Williplett, I'm sorry to attack like this. It's nothing personal against you or your situation. I've tried to be helpful in the past, and no doubt started a lot of silly and pointless conversations on these boards myself.

But you just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back here.

QUIT CRYING ABOUT EBAY!

That's what I think about your "issue". I had a slightly more appropriate word than "crying" but couldn't figure how to slip it past the bad-word filter. Smarten up.

p.s. buy my cards
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I bought 68 singles from a guy a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. Shipping was 2 bucks for the 1st. card and 50 cents every card thereafter. I got the cards today wedged into 6 card saver 1's! one card saver alone had 15 cards pushed into it. This obviously doesn't do wonders for the bottom two corners on the cards.

Not too mention that the actual shipping total was $1.95 and I paid $35.50. I knew the shipping before I bid but would asking that the cards be shipped each in their own sleeve be too much to ask?

Should I ask for a refund? >>>

I ALWAYS e-mail the seller ahead of time on issues such as this. Depending on the response, I either bid or I don't bid. I've had cards shipped that way to me and they were never damaged, but certainly for $35.50 the shipping of course obviously should have been better. You can ask for a refund but he is not obligated to give one and in my view since you stated "I knew the shipping before I bid" then you should be obligated to pay it. I'd have to analyze the auction but perhaps you got a good deal or at least a fair deal on the cards because others didn't want to pay those shipping charges for buying a number of lots. Whether you neg the guy or not is up to you. 68 negs - what a brutal neg that would be!
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

knee him in the face..
    ·p_A·
  • I understand your points DGbaseball. Heck, I even agree with most of them. I have been able to get a degree and hold a pretty good job without internet message board feedback and could easily handle a deal like this. Although, sometimes it is just nice to get some feedback in case someone comes up with something I hadn't thought of.

BTW, the auctions were all penny auctions on nm-mt all star card from 75-81. I got a fair amount of those cards for a penny, so the 50 cents shipping per extra card didn't discourage me from bidding.
  • Alright fine, here's something maybe you didn't think of then.

Tell your seller to go $crew himself, demand your money back (first apologize for being a knucklehead in the first place for paying so much shipping though). Then mercilessly trash the seller's ebay id here on these boards. Now that would be an appropriate use of our time. Quit dancing around the issue and just do it. I'll back you up on it if you need some muscle over on the bay. I'm a powerseller, so believe me, my word goes a long way over there!(my auctions if you want to do some bidding, hey everybody wins when you bid on my cards! nothing really interesting right now but have some big things going up this weekend)

The seller clearly is a piece of garbage. I mean, how dare he put 15 cents worth of cards into a single card saver. Blasphemous
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That is totally ridiculous. I charge a .60 flat rate for the first 3 raw cards, then an additional .25 per card after, but if someone bought a ton of cards, I'd just charge them $2.00 or whatever it would actually cost me to ship the cards. If someone overpayed for shipping, I would send them a refund of the overpayment. Outrageous shipping charges are probably the biggest complaint of unsatisfied buyers on eBay.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    IMO it's not the amount of the charge; it's the manner of packing. The seller clearly stated the shipping charges, with combined shipping, and held to them. But, there is never an excuse for jamming multiple cards into a card saver. It's implicit in the auction that the cards will be packed and shipped in a manner not likely to damage them. Multiple negatives sounds to me like a good idea.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    DG
    I can't argue with some of your points but I will make a comment on your "tone."

You would NEVER talk to a friend or for that matter a stranger - in person - like that since you'ld probably be on the wrong end of someone's fist.

I could take offense to your spamming but it doesn't bother me. I think you could be a bit more tolerant or is that the Friday nite - coming home buzz talking? image

You, IMO, are somewhat coming across as a bully in your words.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>I think you could be a bit more tolerant or is that the Friday nite - coming home buzz talking? >>

i dont think dgbaseball partakes in any mood altering or intoxicating substances.. i think he's just an ass.. image
    ·p_A·

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you could be a bit more tolerant or is that the Friday nite - coming home buzz talking? >>

i dont think dgbaseball partakes in any mood altering or intoxicating substances.. i think he's just an ass.. image >>

Mike
  • I e-mailed the guy and told him that I fully understood what the shipping costs were but with that I had an expecatation that the cards would be shipped in a proper manner.

I told him stuffing up to 15 cards into one card saver so the bottom two corners curled in wasn't what I called a proper manner to ship. So rather than just firing away with 68 negatives, I told him I would give him the chance to make it right.

We'll see what he has to say.
  • CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Hope everything works out for you. I just won a couple of auctions and got my stuff. One was packaged great.
    Double boxed and bubble wrap. The other one I paid $2.99 shipping and the card came in a .37 envelope. I
    gave positive feedback since I got the card and it wasn't damaged, but I stated that in the feedback. Shipping
    seems to be one of the big topics lately.
  • williplett, you did the right thing. State the facts and ask the seller to make it right. The important thing is COMMUNICATION. I too sell on Ebay, and as a seller, the most frustrating thing is for a buyer to not even allow a seller the opportunity "to make it right" before leaving a neg. If something cannot be worked out, then you can leave a neg. Leaving a neg should be a last option, not the first.

BTW, stuffing so many cards into a card saver really s*cks!!!! Idiot seller! Also, for future reference, many sellers will offer you a better deal on shipping for multiple auction wins if you contact before an auction ends, or immediately after you've won multiple auctions. Not every seller - but quite a few. I know I do.
    << image >>
  • I've been called an ass by guys with far more amusing and creative signature pictures than you PA.

And Mike, I'm sure everyone can recognize sarcasm mixed with an honest shot of reality. You big bully you.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like ebay made around 20.00 of that 35.00. So the guy will try and balk IMO.

BTW, the auctions were all penny auctions

Does ebay charge .30 or 35 per auction?

SD
    Good for you.

<< <i>And Mike, I'm sure everyone can recognize sarcasm mixed with an honest shot of reality. You big bully you. >>

dg
    Last nite was not a good nite for me - I was in a very critical mood.

Sorry if I came on strong - the irony blew right by me?

mike
    Mike
  • I looked at it this way. If the guy sold the 68 cards all to separate buyers, then at 2 bucks a pop shipping for the first card, he would have made $136 off the shipping instead of my $35.

I probably won 40 of the 68 auctions for a penny. I figured that the 50 cents per extra card shipping would just be to cover his listing costs.

It is a shame because the cards are all NM-MT and include guys like Brett, Carew, Ryan, Yaz, and a bunch of other HOF'ers. At least they were all NM-MT before shipping. I figured I got a great deal.

Any one ever give any consideration to sour grapes? I have wondered about that before. A guy puts a ton of nice HOF'ers up on the Bay and thinks he is going to sell them for a hell of a lot more than one shiny penny and lo and behold most actually go for the penny. So, he is pissed and just jams the cards into a few card savers and sends them out. I am not saying that happened here, but I suppose it is a possibility
  • So, he is pissed and just jams the cards into a few card savers and sends them out. I am not saying that happened here, but I suppose it is a possibility

A good possibility. Although more likely the regular practice of this a-hole seller.
    you forget to spam your auctions here this time DG?

thanks for the dictionary.

SD
    Good for you.
    Just a "jagged little pill"

Don't ya think?

Mike
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    A lot of ebay sellers do that with shipping to get what they actually want for the card and duck under ebay fees. That is fine as long as the buyer knows what his final charges will be. I think it's just as tacky to ask for reduced shipping costs...if you dont like the final amount then don't bid.
    BUT....if you are going to advertise that as shipping and you do charge for it, for God's sake, be thankful and respectful enough to give the best and safest packaging possible! Why lose a customer because you wont spend the extra couple bucks to ship safely?
    I agree yankeeno7

the penny auctions were created with the shipping amount factored in as profit. The guy should have at least sent the cards in a way that they would have not been damaged. I have bought many times like this and sold this way too and thus far have never had a problem. When selling I always gave each card its own penny sleeve or sent the cards in a flip box.

SD
    Good for you.
  • The seller got back to me and apologized for the way the cards were shipped. He asked if a $25 refund on the shipping was fair. I accepted the offer since I agree that it is, more or less, a fair resolution to the problem.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Back to the issue of DG being an ass. I think that is clear. Sure he was tongue in cheek and sure he said things I have considered saying to others but just move on to the next thread if you aren't interested. Maybe your mom didn't tell you that whole bit about "if you don't have anything nice to say...." Seriously, just move on DG. Why be an ass? You should also realize that some people, myself included, get very wrapped up in our Ebay "issues." I have had a couple of Ebay issues over $10 cards, feedback retaliation concerns, etc... which in hindisight are laughable but many of us are guilty of making posts that probably don't need to be asked. I happen to have an advanced degree, 30 years of collecting cards, and a higher IQ than you DG (for sure) but I still have started a couple of stupid threads (if not more). Most of us are in this together (you not included) so let's be friends, learn, share, etc....
    P.S. I actually looked at your auctions DG but how on earth could I bid after your rude tone? Not going to happen ever. You lost a potential buyer but what do you care because you are a powerseller and you got to say what you were thinking. You sure showed how smart you are!
    P.P.S. image
    Good for you.
  • larryallen73,

I appreciate your opinion but suggest you read your own post again, and next time maybe practice what you preach and just move on the to next post if you don't like what I said, instead of resorting to a personal attack and name calling. You know, something about two wrongs not making a right...

I honestly am sorry to offend you (and I'm not just saying that to encourage you to bid, in fact if I knew your ebay ID, I'd ban you from my auctions). But this is an open forum with lots of great discussions, and I should honestly be a little more careful and considerate and just learn to ignore the myriad of ebay and feedback and shipping questions that have clogged up this forum.

And if you change your mind about bidding our auctions, we got some real sweet 54 topps PSA Hall of Famers up now.

Cheers!
    Dave

and to my good buddy WinPitcher, please go chew on some barbed wire.

<< <i>larryallen73,

I appreciate your opinion but suggest you read your own post again, and next time maybe practice what you preach and just move on the to next post if you don't like what I said, instead of resorting to a personal attack and name calling. You know, something about two wrongs not making a right...

I honestly am sorry to offend you (and I'm not just saying that to encourage you to bid, in fact if I knew your ebay ID, I'd ban you from my auctions). But this is an open forum with lots of great discussions, and I should honestly be a little more careful and considerate and just learn to ignore the myriad of ebay and feedback and shipping questions that have clogged up this forum.

And if you change your mind about bidding our auctions, we got some real sweet 54 topps PSA Hall of Famers up now.

Cheers!
    Dave

and to my good buddy WinPitcher, please go chew on some barbed wire. >>

·p_A·
  • OK, I'll bite, so to speak. I get the STFU, but what does NOOB stand for?

Please remember I have a low IQ.

Thanks.
  • Found a definition.

"used to describe a new person or can sometimes be used to insult people"

Sweet picture, very creative. Although I feel so insulted.
    The seller got back to me and apologized for the way the cards were shipped. He asked if a $25 refund on the shipping was fair. I accepted the offer since I agree that it is, more or less, a fair resolution to the problem.

Glad to hear that Will

dg what? did you expect me to bite?

Good for you.
  • No biting allowed.
    Just chewing?
    Good for you.
  • And name calling.
    I'd rather chew. No name calling. OK?

Im done with that. I ...well I am sure you know the story.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Deal. I've already pledged to lighten up.

So long as you all keep buying my cards.
    Good, I wouldn't want Perry to kick your (that right)? ass.

.....running to online dictionary.

better?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Were my "ass" ever kicked by a girl named Perry, I would have to finish the job and kill myself afterwards out of embarassment.
    Don't worry DG I'll come to you're funeral............hey I am getting better no?
    Good for you.
  • Yes, you get a gold star for grammar

<< <i>Were my "ass" ever kicked by a girl named Perry, I would have to finish the job and kill myself afterwards out of embarassment. >>

me too..
    ·p_A·