Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

No award for me this year...#1 means NOTHING!!

I have the 1985-86 Topps Hockey #1 All Time Finest Set...currently sitting at 70.91% complete....
Well, there are only 2 other cards graded to date that I do not have...even that put me at 71-72%...NOT 75%.

So I get the "sorry we have to set the limits somewhere" note from BJ today.But not to worry May 31st deadline for next year is just around the corner, IF you're still actively seeking the set.

Nothing for nothing...but you'd hope after sending tens of thousands of dollars grading...you'd get SOME appreciation....

I know there are others out there with ever harder sets to build......it just kills me to have a quality set and yet see some dipwad with a Pokemon set at 75% get an award....lol

You'd think they'd start looking at who has stopped spending big money with them and ask why!!??!!
I know they haven't see dime one from me in 6 months...BUT other companies sure have!!

Comments

• Options
    I feel your pain man!
    I've been waiting to see if my September grading special grades would come in in time for the Oct 31 deadline. No such luck. Funny, they got me back my first 6 FREE grades very quickly, but now that I actually PAID for their services, they seem to feel they need to get as close as possible to that 45 day "guarantee" for bulk commons.
    Bad thing is, those grades would have put me well over the 75% for that set. Oh well. Luckily though no one else even has a set registered yet so I'm still TOP DOG..........just without an award. I can wait though.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Bruce, I feel your pain brother. I have a complete set of 1971 Cocoa Puffs Globetrotters waiting to be graded at PSA. The top Set is around 6.75, the cards that I sent should be at least 7.50, I should get them a week or 2 after the deadline.

Look at it this way, at least 2 of the 1985's you need are only 60 miles away. I have the Verbeek SP (PSA 9) and an upgrade to the Lindbergh (the only 9). PM me your mailing address and I'll send them to you knowing that you have plenty of extra stuff to send me in trade, just surprise me.

I will be at the Shriner's show next weekend, but I don't know when, wife and kid come first on the weekend.

See you around, STEVE.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    One some sets it's impossible to even make it to 75%- there is no known complete set of '16 Tango Eggs anywhere, let alone graded. The #1 guy has 55% and has been at that level for 3 years- the two behind him (one being me) are at 50% and 45% with virtually no chance of going higher at any price. I understand having to draw the line somewhere, but perhaps bending it a little on impossible sets wouldn't be too hard a thing to do.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    #1 just means that you spent the most money and #2 and #3 probably shill bid you on a few cards out of spite.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting in the same position you are right now. My Dan Marino basic set is over 66% complete and I have no chance of hitting 75% by the 31st. It really frosts me because the set is fairly large and growing all the time. I think 66% is quite an accomplishment considering the next closer set is less than 40% complete. My only consolation is that I should hit 75% by the May deadline.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Hello,

While I can feel your frustration, it is a bit demeaning to refer to someone else as a "dipwad" simply because they don't collect the same thing you do. Perhaps PSA should acknowledge sets that are either over a certain % OR consist of a certain % of total cards graded? Might help out some of those who collect sets that are very hard to put together due to lack of material.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Here's the flip side:

Should the registry awards be changed to where PSA arbitrarily makes/breaks rules to accomodate high volume submitters (or people they hope will become such)? Is this the better alternative?

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    5STAT (Bruce),

Isn't the ultimate goal to achieve 100% ... regardless of scarcity? In your quest, you'll eventually reach 75%.

It's taken me nearly 2 years to reach 75% (and dethrone MOSH) with my set. I had to manufacture several of my grades - by purchasing unopened material and submitting myself. If I hadn't done this, I'd still be under 75%.

PSA did change their Registry Set Awards standard from 65% to 75%. It's been stated on the website for nearly a year and was announced in this Forum, so I don't see why it's a surprise to anyone. It's not like PSA changed the standard just prior to the deadline.

With the current volume of sets (and continued set requests) in the Registry, I can understand why. Remember the Registry is a free service, and, because it's free PSA will continue to streamline the process. Also, anyone reaching 75% will receives free grade certificates - based upon the set's size.

I am curious to see what sets (Base? HOF? Sets of the Year?) will be presented at the National. Perhaps they'll be handed out at the PSA Registry Luncheon?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What i do not understand is why the big deal? If you are number 1 for a set those building it know. When I first started here i requested a set (55 topps HOF's) it was accepted and i was number 1. After about 3 months i was still number1 (the only 1 ) in the set. I deleted the set as It was not important to me to be number 1 out of 1. A certificate does not make your set any better. If it is a number 1 your peers know and that is all that really matters.

I find it funny that some guys create sets within sets just to get more certificates. The free grades I can understand, but this having to get a certificate seems a lil .............unimportant within the grand schemes of things....to me anyway.

enjoy your cards.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=16212&alltime=yes&rank=1&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

I feel your pain on this set for the same reasons mentioned. I just can't find any of the cards I need for this set in decent shape!

No award for me either~

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options

<< <i>One some sets it's impossible to even make it to 75%- there is no known complete set of '16 Tango Eggs anywhere, let alone graded. The #1 guy has 55% and has been at that level for 3 years- the two behind him (one being me) are at 50% and 45% with virtually no chance of going higher at any price. I understand having to draw the line somewhere, but perhaps bending it a little on impossible sets wouldn't be too hard a thing to do. >>

I don't know Griff......................it's nothing a golf tourney check won't cure~

imageimage
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!