Home Sports Talk
Options

OK, OK I've had it. '71 Nebraska Cornhuskers were the best college football team...EVER!

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
The recent ESPN online poll that said this years USC/ND game was the best game of all time is ridiculous!

I say the '71 "Game of the Century" #1`Nebraska vs. #2 Oklahoma is the best college football game EVER! End of the season, 2 undefeated teams. That game was for the National Championship that year.

On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, NU played the #2, #3 and #4 rated teams that year, on the road, and won them all!

That's quite an accomplishment no matter what era it was played.

So I hope the national pundits knock off the "greatest team/greatest game" talk. image Porbably most of the poeple who voted inthat wacky ESPN poll weren't even born when the the 71 husker/sooner game was played.

BTW, the 1995 Huskers have to be a close second to the best team ever. Sorry Husker haters.
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's hard to argue with the dominance that USC has run the table with the last 3 years...30 game winning streak, back to back national champions (and likely to play for a third), and last year's national title game they obliterated the #2 team away from home.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think there can be a best ever College Football Team... yes the '71 Huskers were great as was the Huskers-Sooners match up. How do you compare them to the Notre Dame teams under Rockne? The 1944 or 1945 Army Teams? The 1948 Michigan Team? The 1962 USC Team and we could go on...

Perhaps the top 5 teams over each decade could be done... but that would even be tough.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Or even the (get ready coinhusker) Oklahoma teams under Bud Wilkinson.
  • Options
    how about the 99 Seminole team? They ran the table baby! Coast to Coast! 12-0....PERFECT SEASON. Can't argue with that!
    Noles=Best Team in College football.
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options

<< <i>It's hard to argue with the dominance that USC has run the table with the last 3 years...30 game winning streak, back to back national champions (and likely to play for a third), and last year's national title game they obliterated the #2 team away from home. >>

Considering OU should not have even been there I think that statement means nothing. I mean isn't OU the team that lost to TCU!? hahahah
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Most if not all of his statements do mean NOTHING.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's hard to argue with the dominance that USC has run the table with the last 3 years...30 game winning streak, back to back national champions (and likely to play for a third), and last year's national title game they obliterated the #2 team away from home. >>

Considering OU should not have even been there I think that statement means nothing. I mean isn't OU the team that lost to TCU!? hahahah >>

Dude you are comparing teams in 2 different years....OU was widely considered as the team that would beat USC, and USC owned them (pwned?)

WP, as usual, your moronic statements have you looking like you don't have a team, that you're here only as a troll, and admit it, you have a bit of a man crush. Why don't you get with softie, and you 2 can start the Axtell fan club. hell, you can even be president!

• Options
    FSU is my team....everyone knows this. See you in pasadena...
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options

<< <i>The recent ESPN online poll that said this years USC/ND game was the best game of all time is ridiculous!

I say the '71 "Game of the Century" #1`Nebraska vs. #2 Oklahoma is the best college football game EVER! End of the season, 2 undefeated teams. That game was for the National Championship that year.

On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, NU played the #2, #3 and #4 rated teams that year, on the road, and won them all!

That's quite an accomplishment no matter what era it was played.

So I hope the national pundits knock off the "greatest team/greatest game" talk. image Porbably most of the poeple who voted inthat wacky ESPN poll weren't even born when the the 71 husker/sooner game was played.

BTW, the 1995 Huskers have to be a close second to the best team ever. Sorry Husker haters. >>

No argument here! image
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I really wish we could have seen a game between the Huskers and Nittany Lions in '94. Those were two awesome teams.
    Wondo

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to dust off the 1971 "Game of the Century" video to forget about this thoroughly disgusting 2007 season!!

What a year it was for the Big 8!!

1. Nebraska
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Colorado

Next Week: The 1995 Orange Bowl! image

• Options
    Games that have laid claim to the lofty title "Game of the Century" include:

1916 Georgia Tech vs. Cumberland
    1946 Army vs. Notre Dame
    1966 Notre Dame vs. Michigan State
    1967 USC vs. UCLA
    1969 Texas vs. Arkansas
    1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
    1987 Miami vs. Penn State
    1993 Florida State vs. Notre Dame

It is a very subjective topic and will never be decided to everyones satisfaction.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The recent ESPN online poll that said... >>

Still holds true today as it did back then.

ESPN polls are worthless.

Edited to add:

<< <i>1969 Texas vs. Arkansas >>

BEST. GAME. EVAH!!1!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It is a very subjective topic and will never be decided to everyones satisfaction. >>

Very True!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that after WWII many of the soliders who fought in the war as 18-22 year olds entered college and played college football, including at ARMY. These soliders played football for four years in their mid 20's after having fought in and survived WWII.

My guess is that these soliders were some of toughest, bad a*ss college football players ever. Imagine these men in their mid 20's (24-28) who fought in and survived WWII playing football against other teams whose players were essentially 18-22 year old kids.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. I remember the 1971 college football season when the Big 8 ended up with the #1, #2 and #3 teams (Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado) in the nation at seasons end. The NU-OU game that year was one of the best I have seen. Colorado lost close games to NU and OU that year and stomped everyone else. OU lost only to NU in a close game and NU ran the table.
  • Options
    Michigan... I disagree

The Illinois- Minnesota game of 1916 is still considered to be one of the greatest upsets ever in college football... Illinois won 14-9. The GA Tech- Cumberland game is just not as significant as this even though 222 points were scored.

1929- USC 13 Notre Dame 12

1939 Rosebowl game: USC 7 Duke 3... the main reason I suggested this game is because Duke's defense did not allow any points during the course of the season.

1950 - Michigan 9 Ohio State 3- this was the famous snow bowl game this was probably the greatest game of this rivalry

1963- Rosebowl- USC 42 Wisconsin 37- this was a #1 v. #2 - a terrific comeback by Wisconsin in the 4th quarter that set the standard for comebacks

1969- Orangebowl- Penn State 15 Kansas 14- I remember seeing this one on TV... Penn State trailed 14-7 and a penalty on the 2 point conversion gave new hope and kept a winning streak alive.

1971- Nebraska- Oklahoma- it is a classic and that really should not open for debate...

I am stopping here to let others add games beyond 1971... for me it is difficult because there are several worthy of consideration... the Notre Dame - Houston Cotton Bowl game is worthy of consideration

For the record, I am NOT a USC fan but these games really seem to stand out as being significant...

• Options
    Or even the (get ready coinhusker) Oklahoma teams under Bud Wilkinson.

I should have commented on this shortly after that post was made.... that is very hard to argue that the Oklahoma teams in the 1951-57 time frame were nothing short of incredible.

But the sad reality is it is difficult to pick the best...

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    The 1926 Rose Bowl between Alabama and Washington has to be among those spoken of the greatest college football games ever as well. Southern teams were not even considered until this year and Washington initially scoffed at the idea of playing in the Rose Bowl due to a grudge against USC, and then changed their minds and accepted the bid. The game was considered to be a gimme for Washington due to the lack of respect for southern football, and they were favored by as much as 51 points by a sportswriter of the day.

The consideration of a southern team to play and what it did to change college football is tremendous. Alabama was undefeated before playing Washington and had given up a total of 7 POINTS for the entire year before the game. Alabama won in the end after being physically dominated by larger Washington players in the first half and won the game 20-19.

This was also the first Rose Bowl to be broadcast over the radio.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been so many that people tend to forget about as well.. 1993 ND vs BC was a classic!
  • Options
    There are many worthy "games of the century", to try and rank one over the other is futile since people see what they want to see
    in measuring greatness. Makes for some interesting discussions.
  • Options
    agreed

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link....I'm a Cornhusker fan too so this year is really a disappointment for me!!! image

LINK
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    One argument against the 71 Neb as the best ever is that Oklahoma was essentially as good as Nebraska that year. Wouldn't the best ever have blown away the competition? Of course the term "best" has to be considered in the context of the time. The athletes have improved over the years; I suspect that there are a lot of players today who are bigger, stronger, and faster than the players on that 71 team.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. I remember the 1971 college football season when the Big 8 ended up with the #1, #2 and #3 teams (Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado) in the nation at seasons end. The NU-OU game that year was one of the best I have seen. Colorado lost close games to NU and OU that year and stomped everyone else. OU lost only to NU in a close game and NU ran the table. >>

You have an interesting definition of "close". Nebraska beat Colorado 31-7; Oklahoma beat them 45-17.
  • Options
    Again... there was never a best ever College Football team...