Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shriners Show Wilmington MA

Anybody going to the Shriners Show 11/4-11/6 in Wilmington MA. This is as good a New England Regional Show as you will find these days. It's worth the drive.
Anyone planning on making it on Friday?; It would be great to meet.

RayBShotz

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    Ray -

I'll be their on Friday, see you at Set Builders table. Is the King coming this year?

- Jeff
    1981 Topps in PSA 9+
    RAW sets from 55 to 85.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I am going, just wish I could start buying at 10 AM instead of 12 a la Mr mint
  • Options
    I have a suitcase filled of pack fresh 88 donruss commons to show Mr. Mint. Hope he brought a lot of $100 bills!
    1981 Topps in PSA 9+
    RAW sets from 55 to 85.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a suitcase filled of pack fresh 88 donruss commons to show Mr. Mint. Hope he brought a lot of $100 bills! >>

• Options
    make sure you bring a very large empty briefcase with you. When he runs up to you and asks what its inside, open it and say "whaazzzuuuupppp."

If you do that, make sure you video tape it so i can watch it.
  • Options

Living here in Hawaii makes it difficult to attend the show. HEHE. But I was wondering if any of you that are going to the show could look out for a couple of cards for me while your searching the dealers tables. Two 1961 Fleer Basketball cards #10 Bob Cousy PSA 8 NQ, SMR is $400. The other is #35 Frank Ramsey PSA 8 NQ, SMR is $110. Both cards must have "great centering". You can tell me the dealer names and phone #'S and I can contact them. I don't expect you to go out of your way for this. I just feel that being a Boston show they should have a lot of Celtic cards. I am originally from the area (Haverhill). Thanks.

Ed

email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'll be there on Saturday and possibly Sunday. Is there going to be anyone doing on-site grading at the show?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I Know GAI was there last year and so was skerbe.....so if you need a "front" for a "bump"......HEH!

I have a few packs to grade, including a 78 opc with Ryan #105 on front amd murray RC on back!!!! I can't risk getting this "lost in the mail" so I am hoping to have it graded there.
  • Options
    I can't risk getting this "lost in the mail"

That's funny. Coincidentally, the reason I despise GAI started with some cards submitted to them at this very show last year, including a sweet 64 Mantle.... Never saw the cards again. 8 months, a slew of apologetic runaround blatent lying excuses from them, an equal number of threatening, angry e-mails and phone calls from me, escalation to the point where GAI COO Howard Kent called me personally to talk me out of publishing the whole ordeal on my company web site, and finally, one long overdue insurance refund check later (not to mention a voucher for 6 free submissions!), here I am, still bitter.

So anyways, honestly, I think you're safer off trusting the USPS to get your cards to their offices safely. I remember last year they had stacks and toppling piles of cards all over the place, rubberbanding submission forms around cards, with no idea which end was up - clearly, they were overwhelmed and way too disorganized. Not to mention the guys at the show were stopping at other shows on the way back, so I wasn't surprised at all when mine got lost along the way.

If you really want to get the pack graded, I'd suggest paying the ridiculous fee to have them do it and encapsulate it at the show so you're walking home with it that same day.... And now re-reading your post, it looks like that's what you meant in the first place, and I went off on this rant prematurely. Oh well. I always enjoy an opportunity to tell the story.
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Ed,

I'll be going to the show on Sunday along with my dad. He is a huge Celtics fan, so very little gets by his sight, though he tends to stay mostly with the memorabilia. If either of us notices a 61 Cousy or Ramsey in PSA 8, we'll get the dealer information for you.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options

Hey, Thanks Ray. I grew up watching Cousy, Russell, Havlicek and the Jones Boys play at the old Garden in the 50's and 60's. Especially enjoyed the duels between Russell and Chamberlain.

Some Celtics things I have are a limied edition Lithograph of "Celtics Legacy I". Signed by Auerbach, Cousy, Russell, Heinsohn and Havlicek. It is big. Also a limited edition Celtics Leather Baskekball #31 of 66, signed by Auerbach, Russell, Cousy, Havlicek, K.C. Jones and Larry Bird.

Hope you have a great time at the show and that you and your father find what you are looking for. image

Thanks, Ed (Love them old Celtic Greats)
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Ed,

If you ever make it back up to Massachusetts, you'll have to look me up. My dad lives in Dracut (we grew up in Lowell). He has a finished basement that he has converted into a Celtics 'museum'. He grew up living and breathing anything Celtics, and of course bestowed that passion onto me. So it was a huge disappointment to him when I decided the Bruins were #1 for me.image

He was never really into the cards, but he has enough signed memorabilia to make your mouth drop. It's his pride and joy. I'll have to try and post a few pictures from his collection when I get a chance. Everytime I stop by the parent's house, I end up spending time down in the basement just gazing at the things he's accummulated over the years.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Anyone know if there is a website for the show this year? I believe it had one for 2003; nothing fancy, just general info. I was wondering if the admission posted on Beckett's site is accurate, $5. I thought it was more than that the past couple of years.
  • Options
    Here's the website : Shriner's Show
  • Options
    Jeff - Glad to hear your going. Setbuilders at 12:00 Friday, got it.
    Ray
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray
    I've been to one show in the last 10 yrs.

The NE area has some really great shows. Hope you have a good time.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

from the past so some new faces can hear what we are saying
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I'll be there Friday - it really is about the only decent show (other than the Philly shows) in this area, especially for vintage collectors.