Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Copper near the apex?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's with all of these top sets being sold?
More power to the sellers, get the $$$$, just makes me wonder if copper is one of those areas that has seen its rise and people are afraid of a decline there?

(I hope it is a buying opportunity for me.....not the top sets as I am not in that league at the moment, but maybe it will roll on down the hill a bit)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as series go, the Lincoln cent collector base is deep. I don't think the selling of these sets indicates very much about the Lincoln Cent market, or the market in general either.

I don't know anything about the Walsh collection or the collector that put it together, so someone else will have to speak to that. A couple of the "top graded" sets seem to have been put together in a relatively short period of time (5 years or less), and then sold. To me this is just a collecting style. Some collectors enjoy getting to the finish line quicker than others, sell their set, and then do it again in another series. Heck, Jack Lee is now selling his third set in just how many years???

Look at how deep the quality is in the Lincoln Registry set, and then consider how many Lincoln sets are out there that are not in the Registry.

Hopefully, with multiple sets coming on the market, some collectors will have the opportunity to pick up some nice coins at decent prices.
    Doug
  • Options

It does seem that a number of top sets selling in the past year or so would indicate that there would be a dip in the Lincoln market, but I just haven't seen it. Prices at auction continue to rise and, as DMWJR points out, the collector base is very large. I actually wish it would take a dive so I could buy some friggin' coins!!

Jack

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at the Price Guide yesterday for my humble Lincoln set. All I can say is that I am glad I am not into the acquisition of a collection at this time, because I could not afford it! I could see where having acquired a top notch collection just three years ago and selling it today would reap all kinds of financial gain. But I am not here for the short haul or for the investment; I am here to collect.

I also agree that the cent is so popular with thousands of sets not even known about here and that those coins being sold will only "pollinate" other fine sets. Good luck to those selling and to those who add these coins to their collections.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    What Jack said. I've been idle for a while (RSGore Collection) waiting for a pull back. Quality has gone down for the lower grades and prices are still climbing. I don't want to touch the 66s or 67s at this range. Hopefully some day it will cool off and I'll buy them then. For now, off to another series......
  • Options
    I think Lincolns, at least in the mainstream grades, say one below top (65rd,66rd P's, 64rd/65rd D's, 64rd or rb S's), hit their high last spring. The market has only been going down since with selloff after selloff. It is MUCH harder to sell now on ebay. But of course the overall collectors base is huge and nice coins are still ridiculously hard to find, so I view this as a great opportunity to start buying again at more reasonable prices.