Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Many of you may know this, but ANACS is no longer doing net grades

I got a 1955/55 Lincoln cent back today and they had it as:

AU Details
Corrosion

But no net grade.
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I believe that this is one of the changes James Taylor has made since he moved from ICG to ANACS.

Has the slab size changed yet?
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    No, the slab is still of the same size and looke the same.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The font is different.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I'm personally glad they stopped doing that. Never liked the concept. "Grade + problem" is a better idea.

Of course I always cracked out red label slabbed coins because I think they had a negative effect on the buyer's psyche.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I knew they were going to stop net grading, but I thought it would coincide with the changeover to the new slab.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The netgrade was Anacs' opinion on the value of the coin. By elliminating the numerical grade they leave the decision to the buyer. I liked the old system better. Here's one of my rare netgraded coins, a 1851 drachma ,unc details, scratched, net AU55, a really tough coin to upgrade. The scratch is less distracting in hand I believe.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I never cared for "net grading." IMO it is merely an opinion of net value, and to me, that has nothing to do with grading. The "details grade" and nature of the defect is sufficient information for me. Just my $.02 - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I think the value of the net grade was in that it gave you an idea of the extent of the problem. For instance, a "AU details, cleaned, net XF" was often a lightly cleaned coin while a "AU details, cleaned, net VF" was scrubbed.

I wonder if they'll use another adjective in the problem description to help account for severity, like "cleaned" vs. "harshly cleaned".
  • My worry is that now unscrupulous sellers will sell these coins to unknowing collectors for full value. At least with the net grade on the slab a newbie always had something to go by - now they will not.
    knowledge ........ share it

<< <i>I knew they were going to stop net grading, but I thought it would coincide with the changeover to the new slab. >>

Any idea what the new slab will look like?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any idea what the new slab will look like? >>

Two halves of plastic placed together.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Two halves of plastic placed together. >>

You are the answer man!image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think the net grading procedure was better, because it gave everybody a better idea of the extent of the damage, as JJ mentions. I think we're worse off by eliminating that feature.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

<< <i>

Two halves of plastic placed together. >>

image Yankee! image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com