Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dumpster Diving (PICS)

First, a piece that came in the mail today. An Ebay purchase from someone in the UK. I love the fractional farthings. They seem to be cheaper coming from the UK too. This one cost me $14.30 net including shipping. Much more lustrous than the pics imply.

imageimage

Stopped by Ye Olde Coin Shoppe today to fix the owner's computer (it's good to have an "in", plus when the problem turns out to be an ID10T error, the owner feels kinda sheepish image ). I talked him into selling me a lot of 8 Hungarian Denars that he had marked at $15 per coin for $50 for the lot. w00t! I think I've got about 30-40 of the things now...

I then asked to go through the "foreign melt". This is a bag of various and sundry DarkSide, usually low grade stuff or modern, that can be purchased at Spot. Even though silver is high at the moment, I felt like picking up a few things. Nothing splendorific, but some low-mid-grade older pieces. The coins below cost $5.59 total. image
  1. Great Britain 3 Pence, 1878.

imageimage

2. Spain 50 Centimos, 1892.

imageimage

3. Spain 1 Peseta, 1876.

imageimage

4. Great Britain 3 Pence, 1918.

imageimage

5. Prussia 1/6 Thaler, 1822.

imageimage

6. Great Britain Florin, 1875.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Nice haul!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I love the half farthing. Cool die breaks.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You ought to be ashamed of yourself, you bottom-feeder you.....imageimage Congrats on the rips!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I love being a bottom feeder myself. Just based on the acquisition of two of those coins, I'd say you did very, very well.

That Gothic florin catalogues at £25 in fine, though yours isn't quite in that condition. Still, these pieces are popular in any state right now.

The half farthing is very nice indeed. UNC details, no less than EF, probably a £25 coin or better.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    A Gothic Florin in the melt bag, nice find!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson