Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mint set registry , how tough are they?

I see the 99`s are not very active. With only 10 participants, and quite a few at less then 100% complete............?

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"

Comments

• Options
    I don't think a 99 mint set would be hard to complete. If you want to be in one of the top 3 positions, it will be expensive tho. I have thought about doing one in the 99-05 series. I have refrained and now I am glad I did. But its only because I am working on a statehood
    series. With the new satin finish coins, I now have to acquire 20 coins a year. I already catch hell from the wife on the amount of $ I spend. Wonder what she would say if I start spending more? image Anyway, good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Roger
  • Options
    With the new satin finish coins, I now have to acquire 20 coins a year.

That's exactly why I got out of the State Quarters! Best of luck with it though. image
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    The 99 Year is a tough one, Along with the 2004. It will be interesting to see if anyone goes through with the 2005 set once it is posted. I am having fun with the 99-05 series so far, regardless of the SF new coins. One thing for sure, there have been allot of nice SF coins this year.
  • Options
    Well said XXX! I must say that the mint set coin registries are a bit tougher than one would think. There may only be 10 or so sets for each year give or take a few, but the sets are very challenging in high grades. The 2004 is an especially tough year. It will be interesting to see how the 2005 sets shape up. I know that to be in the top 3 on a very competitive year, it will take strong money. I could own some very cool coins like a high grade 09 s vdb for the price I paid on my 1980 set. However, I find the sets extremely fun to build and I keep building one every year. Within the next two years I am hoping to work my way back to about 1996. That will give me about a ten year run of those sets.

Are you thinking of working on one?

Zach
  • Options

<< <i> I already catch hell from the wife on the amount of $ I spend. Wonder what she would say if I start spending more? image >>

I started a set for my wifes birth year. Since then she has not said a word about coins. You may try that, buy a coin for her from her birth year and see what she does.

I am #1 in the 1968 year set and to be #1, you would have to spend a boat load, plus pry some of the coins away from people. I have probably $20K worth of coins in it.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a little fun with this and I'm only in number six.
    Syl's B-Year Set
  • Options
    Clackamas that's a good idea with the wife's birthyear. I may just give that a try. And that 68 set you have is awesome. 1800 sets, wow!
    That is dedication. My problem is I'm stuck in the middle of the road with the statehoods. The SF coins are very nice, as mentioned by XXX,
    but 20 coins a year is a lot, well, it is if your looking for the best (at least the best that I can afford to buy). I may have to make some adjustments to keep this up. Or better yet, maybe pcgs can split the set into 2 categories. I just hope a semi doesn't decide to drive down
    this road in the meantime image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I just hope a semi doesn't decide to drive down >>

One thing I think you might want to keep in mind is there is talk on the Forum of Year sets in the futher. A set that would be all coins of a certian year both MS and Proof.

Year Sets search
  • Options
    Hey Syl I can just imagine that one. Say an 05 set. You get 22 coins in sf, 22 coins in business strike, 11 coins in proof and then the other 7 silver proof coins. Wow, 62 coins for a complete year set. That's a lot of coins. It would be one helluva an accomplishment to have a #1 set of those.

Edited cause I screwed up! Almost put my foot in my mouth....image
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    rb7557............ Lets not forget the Gold & The Plat to round out the set.

LOL.............
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Do a birth year set for your wife first. Thats what I did and now I (we) each have a #1 birth year set.
    1958 (hers) and 1957 (mine).
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    As for the answer to your thread question, that depends on the year you pick. And just how high up the ladder you want to climb towards the #1 spot.
    Dan
  • Options
    <<Are you thinking of working on one?

Zach >>

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    I went a different way. I started mint sets to follow the years of my Walker set from 1933-1947. Man what a task! I never knew how scarce some of the coins were in high grade. Some of the Jefferson nickels are down right impossible to find. Try puttting this run of mint sets together and see for yourself.
    I'm only 5 coins away from completing the sets and boy it's been fun and pricey!
    What's nextimage
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    Wow idocoins, would sure like to see some pics of your coins. That was quite a lofty goal you set for yourself. Best of luck with the last 5 additions.