Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA 8(OC) - How do you estimate value?

I just joined PSA this summer (at the Chicago National) and I've been pretty happy with the grades I've received on the 66 cards I've submitted so far. However, three have come back with the dreaded OC qualifier (all PSA 8's): 1957 Koufax and 1960 & 1969 Mantles.

My question for the board: how do you estimate the eBay value of a star card graded PSA 8(OC)? Do they usually bring close to the straight SMR 7 price, or is it more realistic to expect the closing price to be midway between SMR 6 & 7? (I've already done a completed auctions search on these three cards and came up empty, although there is a '69 Mantle PSA 8(OC) currently listed).

Looking forward to your responses.

Comments

• Options
    Paleo - Its a difficult call. As a blanket statement; somewhere between a 6 and a 7.
    Having said that, there are a couple of factors worth considering.

In demand HOF'ers will probabyl do a bit better. Mantle's and Koufax's are perfect examples.

Also, it is still about eye appeal. Some cards are barely OC and others are grossly OC. Nice eye appeal = more $.
    OC top to bottom also seems to present a bit better than OC left to right. Again, these generally have better eye appeal.

If you're a seller its tough to predict the results. As a buyer; if you are willing to ignore the OC on the flip, then you may ocassionally be able to snag a pretty nice card for cheap. I hope that helps.

RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Ray sums it all up quite nicely. There is one point he made that I would like to emphasize, and this is strictly a personal view....cards that are OC top-bottom seem to be less annoying to look at than cards that are OC left-right. I simply do not like side-to-side OC, yet I seem to be able to live with top-bottom OC in certian circumstances. This impacts both what I buy and how much I am willing to spend.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

PSA knocks it down 2 grades if you add an O/C to your set.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I always measure centering on cards I get back with an o/c. Measure the front and the back. If the centering falls within the parameters of the next grade down, I would crack and resubmit, depending upon the value of the card. Koufax and Mantle cards probably deserve the extra scrutiny. Good luck.

As for value, as everyone said, it depends on the eye appeal, but you want the grade to match the card as much as possible.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The market will determine the "value" and of course the somewhat vague concept of "overall eye-appeal" will have a major influence on the price.

Every situation, set, particular card, etc. may change one's idea as to percieved value. I myself am usually quite happy to pay 7 or 6 prices for a 1973 PSA 9 OC if the centering problem is mostly top-bottom, preferably the bottom gets the short end. I get a card with decent overall looks and 9 mint-like quality with regards to surface, edges, corners, focus and so on. Some feel the "picture frame' or borders and their equality are more important.

In many cases a 9OC Will get more than a regular 7 and rarely, even an 8 !! The unique condition of the exact card and the timing are paramount.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.