Home Metal Detecting
Options

Cleaning Coins

What is the proper way to clean coins? "Proper" "inproper"
Maybe we can have a coin numismastic expert anwser this one!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what the coins are made of and what needs to be cleaned off of them.

Usually, in numismatic circles, there is no such thing as "proper" cleaning except in extreme circumstances. However, since this is the Metal Detecting Forum and we are discussing dug coins which must be cleaned as a matter of necessity, it's a different story.

Most silver coins I dig I will attempt to clean with plain ol' soap and water first. Sometimes I am lucky enough to have a decent looking coin with nothing but loose soil on it. However, those dark dug silver pieces usually require a little more than that. Toothpaste is my next resort. Baking soda after that. Of course then you have a "scrubbed" looking coin, which is a no-no for serious collectors, but it's better than a black ugly coin.

If the coin has a potential numismatic value of more than a few bucks, it might be best to leave it alone.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    How do those guys tone their coins? Do they use chemicals?
    Sorry for my ignarance! I just dig them up.
  • Options
    I want to know how to make a penny shine. I bought a 1909-S while I was in Mesa Arizona. I got home and looked through a loupe and discovered that it was blatantly obvious that it had been cleaned. Actually, the fields were cleaned and the devices are filthy.

It will not devalue this coin to really clean it; make it shine like new. How do you do that?

EDITED TO SAY: I put 1909-S above, but meant 1909 (no mint mark) VDB.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Are you being serious?
  • Options
    Yes. I went to the coin shop I visit when I am there and bought a 1909 VDB for $8.00. I forgot to take a loupe with me and the card was not marked "cleaned" like his other stuff is. I only bought it for an album anyway.

Edited to take off the "S" and add a VDB. I originally put 1909-S. I have always had an empty spot in my album even though I have over 10,000 wheat pennies. So, I bought one and it turned out to be a bad deal, but fills the hole in my album.
    imageimage