Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Dime people, what constitutes FB designation?

Look at this coin and tell me where they get FB designation. I've had submissions rejected with 10 times better seperation on the central bands, only to be denied FB.
What are your opinions on this. http://www.heritagecoins.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=388&Lot_No=1114
Merc collector.

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500

looks good to me
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    That must be the wrong pic for that coin; there's no possibility that it has FBs.

LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Sinin 1, surely you jest. Did you zoom in on the central bands?
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO band on that dime
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't nicks on the bands disqualify a coin from receiving a FB designation? What I meant to say, what is the point! Could someone post a detailed picture of a EDS struck Mercury dime and point out the areas that are proned to be understruck for this coin. A five point check system needs to be implemented into the grading system for such coins to receive the FB designation. Can anybody do it? I really doubt it!
    If someone could prove me wrong, I think it would be well appreciated by a number of collectors here.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    That's why you always buy the coin not the holder. PCGS definitely got it wrong on this one!!!!!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they posted the wrong picture.I just emailed them
    asking if that's the right picture...See if they change it.
    Al
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    That coin is NOT FB....
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post make’s the fifth Heritage wrong picture I've looked at to day. I have a search for MS67 in the year of 1944 on file. They are showing Walkers available with pictures of Morgan’s. This is a definite wrong picture look at the tilt of the coin in the holder.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a wrong photo issue. The coin shown is not a full band coin.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Must be a bad picture. The coin shown in the holder has the same nick on the lower angle band and has much better bands on the center.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMO, I don't think it is a FB either. Take a look at this 1969D Kennedy half PCGS MS67. I may be wrong but the reverse is not fully struck on the shield and that would keep a coin out of a 67 holder. I wouldn't pay moon money for this coin.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I've posted here about 100 times that a good number of 5XXX holder dimes are garbage. Most of them have no FB but are designated as such, and the lion's share of them are at least 1-2 points overgraded. The smart sellers have cought on to people like me who have "eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil" and have sent their coins in for regrading, which would put the old 5XXX coin in to a new 22XXX holder. I RARELY will consider a coin in 5XXXX holder. It's simply a piece of plastic.

Bad picture or not, that coin doesn't have FB. FB designation shouldn't be like those pictures that were popular in the early 80's, where if you drink a 6 pack of beer, cross your eyes, spin around 3 times and stand on your head, you can look at the picture and see stars and spaceships.

Ironically, and I've posted this also, most of Heritage's Mercs that are listed in the upcoming auction are 5XXXX holder dimes. They must have been consigned coins by a collector who bought Mercs during a "dark time" in grading. Most of the 5XXX Mercs are slack, and need to be taken out of the market and regraded correctly. PCGS should step up and buy them back/do this, and they would earn a whole lot of respect/credibility.

Buying one of these dimes is the equivalent of buying a PCGS cert# to stick in to your registry set. I'll rent you a cert# from a coin I own at a significant discount to buying a cert# on Heritage image

• Options
    Check out this ultra rare Mercury. 1938-W
    Merc collector.