Home Sports Talk
Options

How would you feel if the star player on your opponent's team is injured and unable to play?

Would you say out loud "That's a shame" because your team's victory is always sweeter when the opponent is at full strength. (Good Sport)

Or, would you be quietly glad since it gives your team a better chance a victory? (Poor Sport)

The reason I'm asking is I'm kinda torn this week: We play Georgia (Jawja) this week, and D.J. Shockley is out with a sprained MCL. Our offense is really sputtering as the players try and adapt to Meyer's offense, and we are a walking mash unit ourselves. But we really need this win because we are two games behind Jawja, and if we win and they lose once more, we win the East, provided we win out ourselves. But our toughest conference games are behind us, so we've got a shot. Of course, winning the East will probably just earn us the right to lose to the West winner in Atlanta, but at least we will have gotten there.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I always say that is a shame, I prefer to face a teams best.

with that said I hate it when the opposing team brings up the fact that they were not at full strenght. Like it was my fault. I face all comers........

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Poor sport - Just beat them please... I don't care how you do it - make sure after 60 minutes you have more points than them. To hell with Georgia!
  • Options

<< <i>Poor sport - Just beat them please... I don't care how you do it - make sure after 60 minutes you have more points than them. To hell with Georgia! >>

I am sensing a smidge of bias in your response...image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    While not wishing injury on anyone, I would be quietly glad the other team isn't at full strength.

Sure it's the right thing to say 'oh I wish they were at full strength' but anything that gives my team an edge, I would welcome.
  • Options
    For baseball, hockey, and basketball, I'm a poor sport I guess. If Derek Jeter is hurt and the Sox beat the Yankees, it's actually doubly sweet in the fact that he's hurt and his team lost.

But for football it's different... if Peyton Manning isn't on the field when the Pats destroy the Colts in 2 weeks, the victory will not be nearly as sweet.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, no one I would think likes to see anybodys career threatened but if David Ortiz or Drew Bledsoe pulled a bad hammy before they played my team I would not shed any tears.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so hungry for a championship title in Philadelphia, I'd even take a forfeit win. Seriously - I have no control over injuries so a win is a win as far as I'm concerned. I doubt if any sports fan wants to see any player on any team get injured. A solid, clean hit and maybe a concussion knocks the other team's star player out of the game? - admittedly, Yes. But that star player getting injured? - No.