Home Sports Talk
Options

One man's take on who was better, Ted Williams or.....

I had a conversation with a man who watched Ted Williams play. He also watched Bo Jackson play. This man swore up and down that Bo Jackson was better than Ted WIlliams. His reasoning was....Bo Jackson could run MUCH better, Bo Jackson could throw MUCH better, Bo Jackson could play dense MUCH better, and Bo Jackson could hit the ball MUCH further. The only thing he noticed is that Ted Williams could hit the ball more often. He reasoned that since Bo Jackson could do FOUR fundmanetal baseball skills to Ted's ONE that Jackson was the superior player.

He also saw Bo Jackson make some incredible plays that he Ted WIlliams could only dream of making. He also noticed that Ted Williams was not a winner because he never won a WS in such a long career. He also noticed the one time that Ted Williams was in the World Series that he looked like a piece of garbage, and that he was a choker.

He recognized that Bo never won a WS either, but he reasoned that his career was cut short and that he was only getting better before he got hurt, not to mention that he had to resource himself for TWO sports!

He also reasoned that Bo was a better teammate than Ted Williams, (based on his first hand observations). Also, that Ted WIlliams's attitude hurt the rest of his teammates and that is why they never won a WS. It was because of William's attitude that caused the ship to sink so often, despite having lots of talent.

SO based on all these observations, team results, and skill set facts, he had nothing other to conclude except that Bo Jackson was better than Ted Williams.

These anti-stat conversations reminded me of this HEATED bar room discussion!

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bo was a better football player, while Ted was a better fisherman.

as for baseball i will leave that to the other guys.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that Bo Jackson would have been one of the best ever ... just my opinion.

I still can picture him breaking his bat over his knee
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    You clearly hang out with a lot of morons. Who like to waste time. Pointlessly.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams is on my list as one of the top 5 players of all time. Bo Jackson is on my list as one of the top 50,000 players of all time.
  • Options
    Just a guy I met in the bar...

But with somebody I do know, and played with, he was trying to proclaim Brett Butler as a better leadoff hitter than Ricky Henderson! His reasoning was the attitude thing, and the bunting ability. He didn't want to hear about OB%. His motivational force was that he was a Dodger fan.

Same guy, this time he tried to proclaim Bill Buckner a better hitter than Mike Schmidt. This time he put way to much value on the act of grounding out instead of striking out, AND on batting average. Motivational force was Buckner was his favorite player.

These are all reasons why objective measures are needed, because we know perception is completely unreliable, and opinion doesn't apply in these cases because this can be measured objectively. Opinion is used for Ketchup vs. Mustard (Bo Jackson's future is opinion too).

The use of objective measures isn't enough, as one has to make sure the right measurement is being used, and applied properly. Everything pertinent in baseball can be measured. All those clutch events people talked about can be measured. In college, our coach marked each and every at bat with a 3, 2, 1, or 0. 0 being a non productive out, and 3 being run producing hit in a clutch spot. The same could be done while watching a MLB game, or by going back through play by play. In the end, the results aren't going to be any different than just lookiing at the whole though a good measurement!

You can scour play by play datat to figure out how many runs so and so was responsible for each and every plate appearance, but in in the end it isn't going to differ much from the BEST measurements already available that look at it as a whole.

This past debates, and some debates on here that made unsubstantiated claims are usually what set me off my rocker. My apologies to dgs for taking a dive into the cess pool!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    When comparing Teddy Ballgame to anyone, you have to start with two things:

triple crown

..if the guy you are compaing him to doesn't have those numbers on his resume, then the discussion is over.

discussion over

JS
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    That's just stupid. image
    Wondo

• Options
    Bill Buckner is grossly underrated and should be in the hall of fame.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>When comparing Teddy Ballgame to anyone, you have to start with two things:

triple crown

..if the guy you are compaing him to doesn't have those numbers on his resume, then the discussion is over.

discussion over

JS >>

Uhm, no.

As usual, you are deluded and misinformed Joe.
  • Options
    As usual, you are deluded and misinformed ummmmmm Axtell

kevin makes a decent point. how that is delusional and misinformed is beyond comprehension.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    <<< When comparing Teddy Ballgame to anyone, you have to start with two things:

triple crown >>>

Yes definitely, and if anyone wants to talk about "what ifs" how about the fact that Williams missed 3 prime baseball playing years because he was in the armed forces during WW2.
  • Options
    Did he forget that Ted went off to fight a war.
  • Options
    actually ted fought in Korea too. missing most of 2 more years.

Bo jackson may have been the better athlete, but not the better ballplayer.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>As usual, you are deluded and misinformed ummmmmm Axtell

kevin makes a decent point. how that is delusional and misinformed is beyond comprehension.

Steve >>

And as usual, you bring nothing to a conversation...why don't you go crawl back under your rock you call a home and come back when you have something worthy to discuss? Quit riding my sac and following me wherever I post, ok?

Ted Williams was a fantastic player, but to say that you can't compare him to anyone else that didn't win the triple crown or bat .400 is beyond ridiculous.

• Options
    I suggest you scroll up and see that I had already posted here, to imply that i am following you around is wellllllllll delusional!

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    <<< Ted Williams was a fantastic player, but to say that you can't compare him to anyone else that didn't win the triple crown or bat .400 is beyond ridiculous. >>>

Axtell - you're right! Heck..."anybody" can bat 400 and/or win the Triple Crown - it's easy.
  • Options
    Teddy ballgame won not 1 triple crown but 2

SD

edited to add: and exactly what do you bring Axhole? Stupidity?

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i><<< Ted Williams was a fantastic player, but to say that you can't compare him to anyone else that didn't win the triple crown or bat .400 is beyond ridiculous. >>>

Axtell - you're right! Heck..."anybody" can bat 400 and/or win the Triple Crown - it's easy. >>

Again reading too much into what I posted. But to state that you can't compare ANYONE to him unless they did either is, well, short-sighted.

• Options

<< <i>Teddy ballgame won not 1 triple crown but 2

SD

edited to add: and exactly what do you bring Axhole? Stupidity? >>

Ooh you called me stupid!

You're so insightul WP!

/smack
  • Options
    Typical Axhole twist.............

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ooh you called me stupid!

your so insightful

yeah well your stupidity is such that even I can see it.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Typical Axhole twist.............

SD >>

And typical WP stalking...man what are you doing, excitedly refreshing every second, waiting with baited breath for my witty replies, only to try (and I emphasize the word 'try') to insult me with your comebacks?

Comedy, I tell you! Thanks for making my morning at work so fun!
  • Options
    Don't flatter yourself Axhole, now get back to work. Mop that floor again.

excitedly refreshing every second,

from the looks of the timelines it appears that it is you that are doing that. again typical of you.

now mop that floor! boy
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't flatter yourself Axhole, now get back to work. Mop that floor again.

excitedly refreshing every second,

from the looks of the timelines it appears that it is you that are doing that. again typical of you.

now mop that floor! boy >>

Pretty funny, you posted in the SAME MINUTE after mine....then when I call you out on that very topic, you don't post? Hmm pretty coincidental...

as far as the mopping? Please...that's what I have your wife here for.
  • Options
    WOW what a stud bringing my wife into the thread, boy you really are a wit.

check the time lines AXHOLE you were the one excited not moi.

everyone now see's the true ASS you really are. what does my wife have to do with anything here? your a real punk.

I doubt you would say that to my face

typical jerk

now mop that floor boy!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Without interrupting the fight, I don't know how one could argue Bo Jackson was better than Ted Williams. Numbers, team, when you played, attitude, triple crowns, world series wins. Ted Williams was the better baseball player.
    Brett Butler better than Rickey? Just because the ageless one refuses to retire doesn't mean that he didnt dominate and change how the opposing team pitched him. I think Rickey is the best leadoff hitter ever.
    Bill Buckner and Mike Schmidt? Jeez, we're comparing how someone made an out to gauge "better"? At least if you strikeout, you remove the chances of a double play groundout (assuming runners on base and strike em out, throw em out dps).

Even though I think the opinions voiced to start the thread are a little misguided, it does bring up a point about the intangibles and non-stat metrics that we might overlook when it comes to comparing players.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options

<< <i>WOW what a stud bringing my wife into the thread, boy you really are a wit.
    check the time lines AXHOLE you were the one excited not moi.
    everyone now see's the true ASS you really are. what does my wife have to do with anything here? your a real punk.
    I doubt you would say that to my face

typical jerk
    now mop that floor boy! >>

Look she's done with the floor...I have her doing some dusting and some light work...probably why she doesn't clean up at home.

You wanted to get into personal insults, WP (as usual), I am just upping the ante. You want to make assumptions about what I do, fine, go ahead, but I will take up a notch as they say.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen spanky.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

as far as the mopping? Please...that's what I have your wife here for. >>

this idiot should be booted right out of here. I say we take a vote

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

It is time we get this idiot removed from these boards >>

Hmm personal attack *started* by WP, you're right, we should get him gone....you too while we're at it.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It is time we get this idiot removed from these boards >>

Hmm personal attack *started* by WP, you're right, we should get him gone....you too while we're at it. >>

doubt it punk

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>
    doubt it punk >>

Hmm I think you and WP are the same person....so yeah, we get rid of WP, we get rid of you, too...double win!

• Options

You as usual are the common denominator in any flame.

wha wha wha he started it.

typical of you AXHOLE

i guess i called Joe Stalin delusional right??
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What is this "we crap" Axhole? except for you're 2 buddy's on this board you are the most despised person here.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson was POTENTIALLY the best athlete ever. He may or may not have gotten better had he not been injured.

To seriously compare him to Ted Williams is beyond stupidity. The only reason to do this is to start an argument.

Williams also lost out on a third triple crown when he lost a batting title when it was tied and had to go to the fourth decimal point.

He also has the highest on base percentage of all time and number 2 all time slugging %.

Bo Jackson lifetime .250 average. He was the better runner.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    7th game of the world series. who would you rather have on your team.....bo jackson or ted williams? i'd take bo jackson and i think a lot of others would also. he could do more things to help you win.
  • Options

<< <i>7th game of the world series. who would you rather have on your team.....bo jackson or ted williams? i'd take bo jackson and i think a lot of others would also. he could do more things to help you win. >>

That is perhaps the dumbest thing ever said on this board. Bo couldn't carry Ted's jock. He broke down early.

JS
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the funniest thread I ever saw.

Hey, how about putting in Steve Dalkowski to pitch to Bo in the bottom of the ninth? He was the greatest pitcher in the history of the world. He just had a little problem with his controll, when he finally was going to fulfill his POTENTIAL........he hurt his arm. He is possibly the only person who might have had a chance against Bo.

Here's to Steve Dalkowski, the greatest pitcher who almost was.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    and don't forget abuot Chris Chambless! 30 more years and he would of broken Hank Aaron' home run record....Chambless was a better
    home run hitter!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>7th game of the world series. who would you rather have on your team.....bo jackson or ted williams? i'd take bo jackson and i think a lot of others would also. he could do more things to help you win. >>

That is perhaps the dumbest thing ever said on this board. Bo couldn't carry Ted's jock. He broke down early.

JS >>

Broke down playing FOOTBALL you goon.

I'd like to see Teddy ballgame lace up the spikes and play RB a few downs in today's NFL, and see him not get his clock cleaned.

• Options
    We will never know because Bo got hurt and did practically nothing in the game of baseball. It's easy to think what might have been. Some say Josh Gibson was the greatest but he never got the chance in the bigs. So, Ted did it all and proved it all. Kind of hard to be better than that, especially after missing most of 5 seasons to fight for us.
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    Bo Jackson had a lifetime batting average .250. He only led in one catagory and that was strikeouts.

Soriano has much better stats than Bo

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Bo Jackson had a lifetime batting average .250. He only led in one catagory and that was strikeouts.

Soriano has much better stats than Bo

JS >>

Soriano didn't know football.

• Options
    I'd say Bo Jackson was probably a better athlete when it came to speak, strength, etc, but Ted Williams hands down was much more skillful. If Bo Jackson has any kids, he's probably a better father. I'd say Ted Williams was a terrible father, much like Joe Dimaggio.
  • Options

<< <i>Bill Buckner is grossly underrated and should be in the hall of fame. >>

That error in the 86 world series probably cost Buckner the HOF. The guy had nearly 3000 hits. He sould be in the HOF.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That error in the 86 world series probably cost Buckner the HOF. The guy had nearly 3000 hits. He sould be in the HOF. >>

Bill Buckner is a perfect example of what I mentioned in another thread. You have to ignore when and where a player played to reach the conclusion that a mediocrity like Bill Buckner was a great player. Kent Hrbek was a better player than Buckner, Bob Watson was a much better player than Buckner, Boog Powell was a much, much better player than Buckner, and Buckner wasn't even fit for Jock carrying duty for Keith Hernandez. Unless and until those four get in the HOF (start holding your breath.....now) it's a little silly to even be discussing Buckner.

Still, not a hundredth as silly as comparing Bo Jackson to Ted Williams.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    None of those players were better than Bill Buckner.
  • Options
    The most glaring thing about Bill BUckner is the fact that his lifetime .321 OB% is lower than the league average hitter of his time of .333. A first baseman/left fielder with that bad of an OB% better be one heckuva slugger! Buckner's lifetime SLG% .408 vs. .396 league average, so he is barely above the average mark there.

There are soo many more players from Buckner's era that were better than him. How anybody can say that Buckner was better than Keith Hernandez is beyond comprehension. Unless your a fan that values OUTS MADE as a requisite for being a HOF, Buckner pales in comparison to Hernandez and many others from his era.
  • Options
    Since when is total athleticism a prerequisite for being good at baseball? Anyone thinking that is truly ignorant about the game. Does anybody remember how Michael Jordan sucked at the Triple A level. "Basically" if you possess eyesight (also known as a batter's eye), and wrist and forearm strength that is superior to others, and the rest of your body is normal, you are going to be a superior baseball player, and a superior hitter. Of course Jackson was a better athlete than Williams, but not a better baseball player - and it's not even close.
  • Options
    Buckner was better than Keith Hernandez, and he had a much better 'stache.
  • Options
    The most glaring thing about Bill BUckner is the fact that his lifetime .321 OB% is lower than the league average hitter of his time of .333. A first baseman/left fielder with that bad of an OB% better be one heckuva slugger! Buckner's lifetime SLG% .408 vs. .396 league average, so he is barely above the average mark there.

I've got to get my calculator out to be sure, but are you saying that the 12 % pt difference in OB% (.321-.333) means that he sucks, yet the 12 % pt difference in SLG% (.408-.396) also means that he sucks?

Confusing indeed.