Home Metal Detecting

Heavy Token/Commermorative - Need help ID

This thing about blew my mind when I found it about 6 inches in the ground in this field I've been eyeballing for weeks.
Its about the size of an Ike dollar, much much heavier at 54 grams, and it seems to be made out of possibly pewter or some alloy that has lead in it.
Has a bust of J.Q. Adams on the front, and has two figures on the reverse that almost look like wizards or alchemists or something, and it says 'Science gives peace And America plenty'.
Has a date of 1825 on the front, and what looks to be the name
'Dlarch'
I'm guessing the date is likely not when this was struck, but rather some significant date for JQA.
I'd be amazed if anyone had any info about this relic.
JJ

Comments

• Cool find JJ,sorry I can't help with it.HH,Tom
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Adams's was inaugurated in 1825. Very kool token, looks old. Maybe an Adams's inauguration souvineer?
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!
    I'm not an expert on this, but this is what google came up with: 1825 JQA Inaugural Medal - White Metal
    If this is what it is, it would be rare and valuable... but I don't want to get your hopes up too early as I don't know about versions / potential restrikes...

The "DIarch" is "March 4".

Edited to add: There may be some experts on the US coin forum
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Heck of a find.Is it silver or white metal?
    Al
  • Zot - Don't worry bout me ... I always hope for the best, but expect the least.
    Restrike/reissue is what I'm thinking .
    Composition - Certainly not silver. Due to its weight and apparent realitive softness, I think its a lead based alloy or pewter.
    If it was white metal, I would have expected it to be fairly corroded too, which it is not.
    Dunno, I'm mystified, but I'm fairly certain this is not the real deal here.
    JJ
  • JJ,

What an awesome find. Let us know which this turns out to be. From reading the link that Zot posted, it seems that the pieces are rare.

VERY NICE!!!!!!!

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This medal should be 50 mm. It would have been pure silver, not coin silver.
    Don't know what that means as far as weight. The WM version was 97% tin.

This is thought to have been coined at the Philadelphia mint with the help of Adam Eckfeldt.
    At least 100 of the WM version were made and sent to the Secretary of war, about 1826 or 27.

It's a really cool find. Let us know what else you learn.image
    Larry

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fake from Hong Kong, planted by communist insurgents during the war of 1812, but it was post dated to throw off the Confederates. Okay, it is getting late and I am getting tired.

a very cool find, indeed.

Joe
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.