Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I see someone made an MS70 SF 2005 D Dime

How can it be without full bands. If the coin made a 70, but not FB is it really a 70?
There are two MS69FB, so some of these coins are fully struck.
Clad dime collectors, fill me in.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully struck clad dimes are tough but many dies never had enough detail on the
    right side of the bands to get the designation. This is the same problem with many
    dates and extends to other denominations and series as well.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CK: Well stated.

Could a modern Proof coin grade PR70 or PR70CAM without being DCAM? Could an SMS Nickel grade MS70 without being FS? Could a Roosie grade MS70 without being FB? I think it all depends on how each individual defines "perfect". If one separates out the designation from the grade then the answer to all my questions is "yes". If the designation itself is part of the grade, then the answer could be "no" to all of the questions.

I have examined the one and only MS70 Roosie (which, as I recall, was also knocking on the door of "FB"). It is a spectacular "perfect" coin, especially for a "d" Mint SF Roosie. Is the MS70 more valuable than the MS69FB examples out there? Some might say "yes" and some might say "no". Would it be neat to own BOTH an MS69FB and MS70 specimen for an advanced Roosie collection - no question!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mitch!image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fully struck clad dimes are tough but many dies never had enough detail on the
    right side of the bands to get the designation. This is the same problem with many
    dates and extends to other denominations and series as well. >>

But you're not saying, that every coin ever minted should be a candidate for a MS70 or PR70 grade. This is an impossible endeaver considering the age of the master hub most coins were made from. Nonetheless, the grading standards should not be moved up and down to meet the subsequent quality of strike for any coin for any given year. The coin needs to meet the grading standards, not the other way around.
    A MS70 coin must have full bands!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Leo, that is the way I feel about it. If the die is not full, why is that okay. I think comparing FB to cameo is different. A perfect die without Cameo effect is normal for many early dies. In today's world is there any PR70CAM or PR70 State Quarters or any other coins in 2005? The answer is no. Would a late state die with polishing marks (raised lines) be allowed in a 70 holder? Wouldn't this be a better way to compare?

So if you compare in today's world the coins should not make 70 without the designation (at least that is my opinion).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    A full split band is not what defines a fully struck clad dime. Many years from the 80's through much of the 90's most dies had the ridge that makes the splits left off. We call these years UNIBANDS. Coins came that are as fully struck as you will ever find, but because of the way the dies were cut you will not have full bands. And for many of these years, no splits at all. So having full bands is not always the indicator for a full strike. MS70's must have a full strike, and be mark free, "as struck", the split bands are just a bonus.
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A full split band is not what defines a fully struck clad dime. Many years from the 80's through much of the 90's most dies had the ridge that makes the splits left off. We call these years UNIBANDS. Coins came that are as fully struck as you will ever find, but because of the way the dies were cut you will not have full bands. And for many of these years, no splits at all. So having full bands is not always the indicator for a full strike. MS70's must have a full strike, and be mark free, "as struck", the split bands are just a bonus. >>

I agree with this quote. There are countless MS68 Roosies that were graded with no chance of FB, but well struck as deserving of this grade, but for some years, you may only have one to get a FB. In fact there has been a handful of MS69's, including 5 1996-W's, which the highest for this particular dime is MS68FB. If the coin is clean/mark free, it should get the grade.

Ever wonder why a MS68FB is worth 2 points more then a MS68?

"The split bands are a bonus."

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    How can an imperfect die strike a perfect coin?