Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT- Is coin jewelry collectable? Pics added

I bought a small collection of world coins, mostly Great Britain and Canada, and this was in it. I did not want it because it has no numismatic vale to me, but the guy threw it in for buying his collection. Is it worth anything? If not, is there a way that I could remove the solder and put the coin in my collection? -Dan

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing solder is a pain. I could never do it without ruining the coin.

Is it collectable? Probably to someone. I would try eBaying a couple of the nicer pieces under the jewelry heading.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Not to a coin collector.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Not to a coin collector. >>

I don't totally agree ol' stinky dead one.

Mrs ajaan has a gold coin in a bezel on a gold chain. But the type shown isn't collected by coin collectors.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>I don't totally agree ol' stinky dead one. >>

Then you leave me no choice other than calling you names and using personal attacks! I believe that is how they do it on the Lightside.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    You have been dead for 1000 years. You telling me you don't stink?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    You telling me you don't stink?

That coming from a green toed individual. Hmmm...

Anyway, I wouldn't bother removing that farthing from its mount. 20th century farthings outside of UNC are not worth much, in spite of what any catalogue might say.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>You have been dead for 1000 years. You telling me you don't stink? >>

For are making me think about bringing the Bingo Greentoe story back!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I find the practice of placing an old valuable BU coin into a holder to be bashed around on ones body to impress people to be revolting and a horrible crime image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I think in this particular case it's not worth much, simply because the coin in question isn't worth much. You'll quite often see 17th- and 18th-century coins with solder mounts removed, especially larger-denomination coins (thalers, crowns). I'm guessing these were worn as jewelry not because of the value of the coin at the time, but because many of these coins had intricate designs and people found them attractive.

I would leave the coin as-is. That mounting is actually more ornate than most.

Here's one I picked up awhile back. Even though the mount could problably removed with little or no damage to the coin itself (appears to be mounted extremely cleanly, with no solder spilling onto the surfaces of the coin), I plan to leave it this way. My guess is that the reverse was worn outward.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find the practice of placing an old valuable BU coin into a holder to be bashed around on ones body to impress people to be revolting and a horrible crime image >>

As opposed to being bashed about against other coins in one's pocket? I would guess that most coins worn as jewelry ultimately wore down less than coins that were circulated.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I think this type of item can be very collectable and worthwhile. In the case of large papal coins and, especially, medals mounting was very common and make wonderful, original pieces available to collectors at a fraction of the cost (and permits you or your significant other to display a bit of your collection). In this case, the coins/medals were worn by clerics and the pious and often its very easy to see which side was worn "out."

Here's a silver medal of Pius IX (1856) which commemorates the establishment of the Papal RR, probably mounted as a watch fob. This is a tough medal and I was very happy to get it before a better one came along. Also, this piece has a nice story. It was "liberated" from a German POW during the battle of the bulge by a fellow who was later captured and released by the SS.

imageimage

Or, how about a nifty Bavarian 1871 Taler in what looks like a custom mount. What's not to like?

Since she was 7 or 8, my daughter has had a roman republican denarius with a simple loop attached that cost me all of $5-10 and remains one of her favorite pieces of jewelry. It gets lots of attention and exposes lots of folks to the joys and accessability of ancient coins.......

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>I find the practice of placing an old valuable BU coin into a holder to be bashed around on ones body to impress people to be revolting and a horrible crime >>

Most old valuable BU coins that are put in jewelry holders were put in them when they were new BU coins and only worth their face value.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

While I normally cringe at this from a numismatic point of view, this was very nicely done.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    << You have been dead for 1000 years. You telling me you don't stink? >>

Of course he doesn't stink. All the smelly organic parts rotted away centuries ago.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is coin jewelry collectable? >>

You betcha. But it is mostly collectible as jewelry, not for numismatic reasons.

Please do not attempt to remove the solder from that coin- it is far better to have a neat piece of contemporary Edwardian coin jewelry (and that does look contemporary to me) than it is to have a plain old messed-up coin.

I would cheerfully trade a better-graded undamaged Edwardian farthing for that piece. I don't think I currently have any farthings, but I have plenty of other Brit coins and Darkside piece if you wanna swap.

That was a nice freebie you got. I suspect it might have also been used as a watch fob.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I like that one, wybrit - a neat coin and a very neat holder!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'