Home Sports Talk
Options

Latest BCS Rankings

Texas moved past USC for the #1 spot.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Texas moved past USC for the #1 spot. >>

Not sure why...it's pretty funny, but USC beats the number 9 ranked team, and doesn't take away any votes from texas, but texas beats #10, and they gain votes?

Odd.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Texas played an undefeated team and blew them up, USC needed the refs and all kinds of offense just to hang with a 1 loss team. I think
    the coaches are sick of seeing USC just by. Of course it doesn't help when the suposed "great" teams you played before are now losing
    to everyone else!

JS
  • Options
    I think it makes sense. Texas has played a tougher schedule so far, and won all of them by at least 25 points with exception of the nail-biter with OSU. But looking at the rest of the season, USC's schedule is much tougher so they should go back to #1 in a week or two.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Texas played an undefeated team and blew them up, USC needed the refs and all kinds of offense just to hang with a 1 loss team. I think
    the coaches are sick of seeing USC just by. Of course it doesn't help when the suposed "great" teams you played before are now losing
    to everyone else!

JS >>

Come on Joe...you're going to sit there and say Texas Tech is a better team than notre dame? Neither one deserved to be as ranked as high as they did, but you're absolutely nuts to think that tech is anywhere near the caliber of team that ND is.

Texas tech has beaten:

LA Lafayette (a 2-6 team)
    Ohio State (5-2)
    Rice (0-6)
    Missouri (5-2 and has beaten absolutely nobody)
    Oklahoma (a terrible 4-3 team)
    Colorado (like Missouri, a 5-2 team with no quality wins)
    Texas Tech (6-1, and had played teams a combined 15-26 records)

Ohio State is their only quality win, but because they play these cupcakes with winning records, they get the nod? And let's not forget, it wasn't the coaches polls that has them ranked #1, it's the BCS computer you fruit loop.

• Options
    Ok, first let's talk about ND. You started a thread a couple of days ago asking about ND's # 9 ranking.

Here's the BCS ranking:

BCS Rankings
    1. Texas
    2. USC
    3. Virginia Tech
    4. Georgia
    5. Alabama
    6. UCLA
    7. Miami
    8. LSU
    9. Penn State
    10. Florida State
    11. Oregon
    12. Wisconsin
    13. Ohio State
    14. Boston College
    15. Notre Dame
    16. Texas Tech
    17. West Virginia
    18. TCU
    19. Florida
    20. Minnesota
    21. Northwestern
    22. Auburn
    23. California
    24. Colorado
    25. Michigan

Apparently, computers don't get hard-ons for the Irish like the coaches do...

Based on this, yes, ND is only marginally better than TT: Both have high-powered offenses, neither can play defense.

Ohio State, in my opinion, is also a much better team than ND (also 2 other high ranking "states" [FSU and PSU] are both better than ND).

Looking at these rankings, USC beat an 11 and 15 team; Texas a 13 and 16 team. But the real difference is Arizona State completely blowing up - that hurt USC's SoS big time when they lost to Stanford last weekend. Colorado is actually a good team - not great by any means, but good enough to be a legit 20-25 team. On deck, Texas has only 1 team that has a legit shot at being a top 25 team - Texas A&M. Whereas USC plays 2 marginally top 25 teams - Cal and Fresno State and a very good, top 10 UCLA team. FWIW, Vegas has set USC a 6 point favorite over Texas should that game happen - it does vary from week to week however, but that is the latest line.

Brian
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    georgia = overrated!