Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Darksiders: I beg of thee. What be this?

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Maria Theresa Austrian thaler restrike. They're worth about $7.50-$10.00 in BU. They have been struck for centuries, literally. Even I, a collector of British coins, have one.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    ok, I'll bite.

It looks like a recent restrike of the Maria Theresa taler. A popular trade coin repeatedly restruck since its issue in 1780.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    well, bump bump.

edited to add: Even I, a collector of British coins, have one

Me too, in fact, my local club overstamped them a few years ago as a premium. Big, pretty and silver, what's not to like?

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to both of you. I was serious, as I had no clue.image
  • Options
    They're a lot nicer than Churchill crowns!!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not nicer than Churchill crowns in MS68

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Churchill crowns in MS68 are like 12-toed yetis. Or Askari sightings.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Actually I even like the Churchill crowns......but they don't exist above something like MS 48 do they??????? I thought they were supposed to look like that.

• Options

As they say here in the Twin Cities: "B as in B, S as in S." Churchills are much more desireable if they are converted to washers - especially MS68s.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Here is an interesting site that will help you figure out about how old it is and where it was possibly minted. -Dan

Great site on this coin.
  • Options
    Thanks ormandh!!
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is an interesting site that will help you figure out about how old it is and where it was possibly minted. -Dan

Great site on this coin. >>

Thanks, Dan.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, ormandh- I wanted to link to that site, too, but I couldn't find where it had been last posted.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.