Home Metal Detecting
Options

Recent finds (near final ones from Finland until next summer)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
To lift the (presumably) collective "green with envy" mood after seeing DinoUK's finds, I'll share some recent ones of my own that won't have the same effect imageimage
It's getting cold in Finland, but I figure I may get in another hunt or two before we start having snow..

The first is from a recent trip to northwestern Finland. I managed to get some detecting done near an old russian military base. Picked up a bunch of decent coins, but the most interesting find was this ring.
(I'm a history freak - would take this before a modern gold ring any day... )
It's silver and has had some setting in it as well, but that's gone - whatever it was.

Let's take a closer look at this one.. on both sides it has what appears to be arms and a helmet, not unexpected given where it was found.

Note how it's been cut and resized. My guess is that the soldier's girlfriend has been wearing it. Lost or thrown away is anybody's guess .. image

It has some markings alright. Hard to read them though, need to take a closer took with a decent loupe (if I can find it!)

---
Now to the second hunt (today). I made my way to my favorite beach at low tide (which tends to mean "high finds.."). In the picture you can see that a broad strip can be hunted that is normally underwater. The picture only shows part of the beach, but it does show the "hot zone", which I knew to be at the very back, starting roughly from the two rocks in the water. I have hunted it several times, but miraculously new targets always seem to appear image

It didn't let me down this time either:
Imagine my surprise when I was ready to pick up a Finnish copper but got..

..a wheatie! Everyday stuff for you US folks of course, but for me it was a first, and a image moment. It's had a somewhat rough time down in the mud, but I still like its overall look.

A Russian 1/2 Kopek 1915. Nice details!

A ring with heart symbols and a fake looking stone

..and a little windsurfer. I don't surf myself, but I think this guy could benefit from taking some lessons to get his technique right... image

All good finds were from the "hot zone" image

Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got "Wheated"... in Finland! image

That's great- I have a hard enough time getting "Wheated" here in the USA sometimes! image

Zot, I've enjoyed your posts- even when winter closes its grip on you and your ground is too frozen to dig, be sure to keep posting us some cool pictures.

As to Dino and his finds, well... I'm past the "green with envy" state.

I moved through green and on into purple, some time ago. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Nice going Zot!!! Who would have thought to find a wheatie in Finland! I too have been "wheated", found 7 last month in 2 different old playgrounds.

I wonder if that ring had a watch movement, from the pic it looks strikingly like a ring watch.
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>when winter closes its grip on you and your ground is too frozen to dig, be sure to keep posting us some cool pictures >>

Will do, and the plan is to keep detecting as well - as I travel outside Finland a lot. I can think of a number of interesting locations.. Greece, Italy, UK.... image
  • Options
    A ring watch... what an interesting thought! I forgot there ever was such a thing. It certainly looks like a watch face.

But I have found rings like that with a socket in the middle of the setting, where a monogram or crest or something used to be mounted.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool post, pics, and finds Zotimage No critter encounters this time?
    MD season is winding down here also.
  • Options
    If it were not for the crummy rain it wouldn't be winding down quite so fast.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Unlike many of you, we are coming INTO our detecting season here. I can feel it in my bones.

• Options
    Nice finds!! Hey, that fake looking stone looks a bit like Amber. You sure there isn't any creature frozen in time in that thing!!!?!!!
  • Options

<< <i>that fake looking stone looks a bit like Amber. You sure there isn't any creature frozen in time in that thing!!!?!!! >>

Good point! Yes, it could be Amber. It's nearly colorless with a slight yellow tone to it, but amber comes in a wide range of colors..
    There's no insect (or other) in it though.

<< <i>I wonder if that ring had a watch movement, from the pic it looks strikingly like a ring watch >>

I thought of a watch too when I saw the face of it. That would certainly have to be a small watch movement (I didn't even know there are such things). I doubt it, but will definitely try to research this ring a bit over the winter.

<< <i>No critter encounters this time? >>

Nope, and not even the normally friendly squirrels have wanted their picture taken recently. Guess they are grumpy with the winter approaching image
  • Options
    >>little windsurfer<<

Looks like somthing is stamped on the little ring at the top of photo.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>>>little windsurfer<<

Looks like somthing is stamped on the little ring at the top of photo.

Jerry >>

Ahh.. I see what you mean, good eye Jerry!
    But I'm afraid they are only three hits to the ring that are highlighted by the lighting to look like numbers/markings.
    Maybe they've been made through pressure against the rounding at the end of the hole the ring sits in somehow..
    (The entire ring is only 5mm in diameter, so these things are tiny) image

• Options
    Cool find's Zotimage
  • Options
    That ring is a cool find Zot.
    I much prefer to find personal items than coins...'specially old personal items.
    I found this really nicely patinated Roman bronze finger ring in September, as it is so nice I'd quite like to have a stone re-fitted.
    I would think it probably held a Cornelian at some stage.

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage