Home Metal Detecting
Options

He Scores !

Found this very nice cruifix hitting a wood chip park in the dark the other day.
Knew it was nice, but how nice I just found out today.
After a few different opinions, from yes its probably real to no its plated, by part time weekend flea market jewelers, I took it to a certified jeweler at a big name store.
Was informed that it is Black Hills gold [first time I heard that term], and that all the diamonds [22 that I could count] are real.
Weighs in at 12 grams [I suppose its real value is the diamonds though] And is really a peice of work.
First pic I took the other night, right after I found it.
You can see the broken ring on top, which tells the whole sad tale about the unfortunate person who lost this.
Second pic I took tonight, after I had it repaired and cleaned [$7 for a new ringlet and cleaning].
I did inquire about approximate value [I have almost no expereince with diamonds] And the jeweler said that they charge for appraisels .. Which
I certainly understood. I was glad he even took time out from what he was doing to take a look at it.
So I suppose I'll get it appraised, and then sell it.
I like and wear crosses, but this thing is a bit too flashy for my style.
I wouldn't want that much $$$ [I'm guessing between $300-$700] dangling from my neck anyhow.

JJ

Comments

• Options
    Congrat's JJ,that is a really nice find!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    Nice tacky find. I like cross designs but a diamond inlaced cross with JC on it seems more then a bit flashy.
  • Options
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!! image

YOU HAVE A WINNER

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Will you try to find it's owner? Anybody that owned that could describe it well and there wouldn't be much question about it if the description was right.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Very nice!!
  • Options
    And the winning numbers (and letters) are: JJ69!!!!!!!
    Congrats on that find!!!!! I do feel very bad for the person who lost it. i would try posting that on the General Collectables forum before you pay to have it appraised. Just maybe someone there knows it's value.imageimageimage
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Very nice JJ69, Gold is ALWAYS great!image
  • Options

<< <i>Will you try to find it's owner? Anybody that owned that could describe it well and there wouldn't be much question about it if the description was right. >>

I went to the school office in the morning and reported I found a lost jewelry item that I'd return upon description, and left my number.
    Its only been 4 days and so far no call - Probably wait a couple weeks before I make any move on it [well short of the period police would wait for lost & found, I know].
    I find it hard to believe that a child was wearing something like this [this is an elementary school].
    Theres a basketball court that abutts the play area, and most likely sometime this summer it was lost during a game by older kids/young adults.

Thanks for the input everyone - Never found genuine diamonds before.
    I'm mixed about it, knowing my gain is someone elses loss - Might be a family momento, and in any case the person has gotta be hurting.
    Such is life - I lost a wallet with $1,400 in it one time, so I know how it feels.
    JJ
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I've never found a crucifix, gold or otherwise. I've gotten at least half a dozen Catholic religious medallions, including two or three Saint Cristophers, but never a crucifix.

That Black Hills gold is really pretty. Heck, ALL gold is pretty, but I like the multicolored effect on some of that kind of jewelry.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Great find JJ!! Looks like you did all right in the change department as well.

It may take a week or two for someone to step up with a "lost item" claim. What I did when I found a $200 watch 2 months ago was run an ad in the local paper reading:
    "Found: Men's watch on xxxxxxxxxxxx, call xxxxxxxxxxx." Got about 10 calls, but no one could accurately describe the watch. It resides on my wrist for safekeeping.
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Great find JJ!! Looks like you did all right in the change department as well.

It may take a week or two for someone to step up with a "lost item" claim. What I did when I found a $200 watch 2 months ago was run an ad in the local paper reading:
    "Found: Men's watch on xxxxxxxxxxxx, call xxxxxxxxxxx." Got about 10 calls, but no one could accurately describe the watch. It resides on my wrist for safekeeping. >>

Dunno Hugh - I found this in a rather poor area of Detroit that is mostly Mexican immigrants - I doubt if many can or do read newspapers around there. If it was me, I'd kick myself in the ass and move on. Don't think I'd even enquire about my item, and beyond searching high and low everywhere I could think of, I think I'd just learn a lesson about being more carefull with $1,000 diamond trinkets.
    If someone did enquire about it, it would be logical it would be through the school [of couse too, maybe the person is unsure where they lost it They could have been at different places half the day before they noticed it was gone].
    Maybe I'll try some more, but I think the school report and 2 week wait is about as far as I'm going to go out of my way for this.
    I think I'll at least go back to the neighborhood there and maybe theres some local publications containing lost and found ect [if they are even printed in English].
    JJ
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great find!! image

I have yet to find anything with a diamond in it, let alone 22! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would stop someone from reading the discription of the cross from this forum,and calling
    to claim the cross?..Just a thought.
    Al
  • Options
    Al, you have a devious mind LOL!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was brought up in NY,you must think out of the box to serviveimage

No kidding aside,It could happen.
    Al
  • Options

<< <i>I was brought up in NY,you must think out of the box to serviveimage

No kidding aside,It could happen.
    Al >>

Hmm well for one, I left my number at the school I found it at - I don't see how someone reading this could get my number and/or the name of the school I found it at from the info provided. Now if someone from the school office happened to run across this, they just might put 2 and 2 together and try to scam me.
    JJ
  • Options
    Very nice find and gallant effort to reunite it with is owner. If a time came to sell it I would like to consider your asking price, or to bid on the item, depending on circumstances. Keep me posted. Good luck in all your quests. tyrs55@aol.comimage
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice find and gallant effort to reunite it with is owner. If a time came to sell it I would like to consider your asking price, or to bid on the item, depending on circumstances. Keep me posted. Good luck in all your quests. tyrs55@aol.comimage >>

Thanks Rex - So far, no contact.
    I guess the thing for me to do would be to get it appraised. I'm very confident of the jeweler that told me it was all genuine ... But knowing a ballkpark figure doesn't help that much in determining a fair asking price. Appraisels are $70 at this place, which I thought was a bit steep, but maybe thats about the going rate I don't know. I'll let you know when I'm ready to make a move on it, and feel free to contact me xraywolf@comcast.net if you have any further questions.

Regards
    JJ
  • Options

Excellent find JJ!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage