Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Last picture post today..Isaac Brock

Also found these in the bunch worth mentioning. I think these commemerate the war of 1812.image

Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That first is fascinating. Never seen one before.

Yoohoo, ajaan and Greyside folks- what is the reference on all those pre-Confederation Canadian tokens, again?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Isaac Brock.

Wow, the nerve of those dang Americans, invading Canada!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I've got one of those, but the detail on the monument wears so fast that it's pretty flat.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    I have one of these tokens as well as many other early tokens of Canada.
    It's quite interesting when you get a token like this, and learn about history you never learned about in school.

Ray
  • Options
    Issac Brock sounded like well liked guy. Thanks for the info. I found a Nova Caesarea from 1787 in the lot also, and found out it was minted in Morristown NJ about 20 miles from where I live. Its hard to believe things like this with so much history behind them can be found still, and bought inexpensively because most have no idea what they are and pass them up as worthless junk. I love this hobby!
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds! The Brock tokens are catalogued by Charlton as UC-6 (Upper Canada). There are 7 major varieties. The 2 shown look to be UC-6A7, Cherubs heads under the T and R, oval wreath, flat bottom urn, and 3 step pedestal.

All varieties have the same values listed in the catalogue: VG $6, F $12, VF $25, EF $50 Canadian. I would grade the top example F-VF and the bottom VG.

More stats: Copper, weight 4.5 - 4.9 grams, diameter 29.4 - 26.8 mm, both coin and medal alignment, diagonal reeding on edge. Also Breton # 724, Willey 802-808, McColl 4-9.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>Its hard to believe things like this with so much history behind them can be found still, and bought inexpensively because most have no idea what they are and pass them up as worthless junk. I love this hobby! >>