Home Metal Detecting
Options

Dug Edward 3rd quarter noble....

....here are the before and after pictures of an Edward quarter noble I dug.
It was pretty bent up, but using the tried and rested chip pan method it was resurrected.

Before....

And after....

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Dino,

That is one sweet coin you have there. Glad to see that it straightened out okay!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chip pan method?

I dug a US half dime once that was bent almost double, and was able to straighten it out (mostly) by putting it between a couple of wood blocks and tapping it with a hammer. I was worried I'd break it in half but it did OK.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh...

and by the way, Dino?

I hate you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dude you really SUCK!!!!imageMan that is a swwet find and great job straighting it out.HH,Tom
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never thought you could have straighten that out.
    What is the chip pan method?
    Al
  • Options
    You suck! You sure have made some sweet finds. Keep 'em coming!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    The Chip pan method of straightening is:-

To straighten a coin, first you have to re-anneal the metal. What happens when a coin is bent, is that the molocules of the metal on the inside of the crease have been compressed, and the ones on the utside have been stretched.
    Before you attempt to open the coin, these have to be re-alligned by heat, and a heat as near to 300 degrees.
    Obviously water will only go to 100 degrees, so I use the chip fryer.
    I get it as hot as I can before flames...really smoking.
    I then toss the coin in and get it up to temperature, then take it out with forceps and toss into cold water.
    Then back into the oil and when hot, straighten a little with a small wooden pastry roller. Repeat until flat.
    If you don't re-anneal first, you take the risk of snapping the coin.
    Another way with silver, is to use a gas flame until cherry red, then cool...this is a bit extreme, and you really have to watch the temperature to avoid melting the coin.
    Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dino
    Thanks!.Im extremely impressed.

Al
  • Options
    Cool.

It's a good thing I was lucky when I straightened my bent half dime. I was worried about snapping it. It never ocurred to me to anneal the metal.

• Options
    Awesome find.... How are finding gold coins in UK compared to finding in the US say California? I have been at it 15 years and have found 3 gold coins...
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • Options
    Good grief!!

Stupendous find Dino!

I'm now speachless!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage