Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

crossovers

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been away quite awhile, but wondering if anybody has recently attempted crossover's from Global to PSA and how they made out.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    don't even think about it unless you are actually cracking the card....

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    absolutely correct on that!

Hey, I just raised your user rating!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I agree and learned the hardway. Sent in 3 GAI 9's and a 9.5 Gem Mint hoping for straight crossovers--none made it. Had the grader (or someone) put those yellow stickies on it showing me why it didn't cross, and I am no closer to understanding why. They might as well have placed the arrow next to the GAI symbol.image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Well my question seems answered to me, thanks for the input.

Dare I ask.....how about SGC?
  • Options
    I just crossed 2 61 Topps Baseball 88's to PSA 8's no problem. You just have to look them over real good before you send them. I've been lucky, I'm 6 for 6 so far, even had 1 upgrade. Good luck.

Stan/bosko56
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I recently cracked a GAI 8 and submitted to PSA and it came back PSA 8.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I crossed over 6 out of the 7 SGC's I had for 1988 Maxx Racing. They were all SGC 98's and 6 came back PSA 10's.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think, in general, crossing from a Big 3 company to another has a lot of risks. There is an ineherent psychological bias against the other company's holders. Yes - I've had many successful crosses from within the holder - but not enough that I would reccomend it. Especially with evidence that cracking and resubmitting leads to greater likelihood of success.

Also - fwiw - the GEM MINT grade is pretty tough. The differences between MINT and GEM MINT are de minimus on the vast majority of issues, besides for obvious things like centering and perhaps a print dot. Thus - I would almost never, ever suggest cracking a valuable GEM MINT card in the hopes of getting the other company to give it a 10. And GEM MINT cards often don't cross well - all a grader has to do is find one flaw, no matter how minute, and say "Aha - we would only call that MINT. We are such a superior company"

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks for more input, the card I am thinking of crossing is a Global 8, I have options here, 1-crack it, 2-Just enjoy the card. I would like to get back into the set registry so option # 2 is unlikey, I thought of sending it to SCG for a crossover THEN attempting to cross to PSA...But SCG will not crossover a card valued at MORE than $500.00 so that is out as well.

Well I quess the safest bet is to start cracking...........

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Today, I actually crossed over a GAI 9 1957 Tommy Byrne to a PSA 9....I was shocked!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I'd love some advice: I have two mid 50s cards graded by GAI: one is an 8.5 star card and the other is a common card graded 9. I'd like to cross them over but am worried about cracking them open and losing at the minimum, the grades of 8 for the 8.5 and the 9. I'd take an 8 for the 8.5 star because I paid just about the SMR for a PSA 8 for the card. A 9 on that card would make me thousands of dollars. As for the common, I'd love a 9 crossover; an 8 would cost me a few hundred bucks. I'm going to look them over carefully through the plastic, but is there really a strong bias against GAI? I've crossed over a common mid 50s SGC card with no problem and the one time I've tried to cross over a star card from GAI it was rejected. Thoughts, ideas?
  • Options
    The 8.5 is a no-brainer. The 9 will be real tough. PSA doesn't give out many in vintage.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 8.5 is a no-brainer. The 9 will be real tough. PSA doesn't give out many in vintage. >>

at least not to "regular" people.....image
  • Options
    bttt
  • Options
    I know how to crack the SGC or PSA holder. However, the GAI holder is different, kind of similar to the BVG holder. Can someone please give some tips on how to crack a GAI holder? I have a 62 F Robby #350 (centered) in a GAI 8 that I probably will crack and send to PSA since apparently most think that is wiser than crossover. Thanks.

Kurt
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Actually it would be very helpful if someone could let me know how to crack the SCG and PSA holder as well as the Global holder, I am ready to crack my 7.5 grade SCG and am VERY nervous LOL

Thanks
  • Options
    This will help you on the PSA and SGC slabs.

How to open a graded card slab

Still need some advice on the GAI slabs though...
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    GAI - get a screwdriver in the crease at the top. Tap it with a hammer. Once it gets inside, carefully and slowly twist it til the top pops off. I learned the hard way after destroying a GAI 8 on a 1955 Topps card.

• Options
    Thanks for that link, very helpful.

Im going to the Boston show in two weeks and at this point Im just going to wait until the show and buy a few $5 cards in holders and practice on them first before I venture into my "good cards"
  • Options
    i was wondering about everyone's opinion. i won a 68 gaylord perry in sgc 98 and was wondering should i send it in as a crossover or would it be better to crack it out? also i have tried using a dremel by cutting off a corner farthest from the card then prying apart with a screwdriver with a cloth over the slab.
  • Options
    I assume that it is a "9" grade. I would attempt a crossover first as there is no gaurantee that it would grade out as a 9 if submitted raw after cracking it open. That being said why gamble like that?

If the crossover fails I would even submit it again a few weeks later and maybe it would cross then. Im not sure if PSA puts the serial # in a database so they wont contradict themselves though. Im sure some of the boardmembers would be able to answer that.

Whatever you do, Good Luck !
  • Options
    Well I just sent out a SGC 7.5 grade to PSA attempting a crossover, I hope it crosses OK.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever had an sgc come back 1 or 2 grades higher at PSA? I've only had same grade crossovers on a third of my submissions.
  • Options
    Hey I hope I can tell you that when my submission comes back.

About a week ago I spoke with a dealer (mainly a SGC) who told me that a lot of cards would get turned away from SGC that were in PSA holders because SGC is more strict.......I did not believe him simply for the fact that he has a ton of SGC cards from a set that I am attempting to make a run at and I am offering him business based on how my attempt to cross my SGC 7.5 into PSA works out. (I would accept a minimum 7 NQ but hoping for a long shot 8)

Im not going to throw the dealers name out there because he did give me a good deal and was quit pleasant to do business with.