Home PSA Set Registry Forum

At long last complete - '59 Morrell Dodgers

Be it ever so humble, it is finally completed, along with some additions to my #2 set. I'll post a scan of the final card tonight when I get home.
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    great job Mark!

nice to see them scanned too. many are 1/1's I see.

Sd
    Good for you.
  • Congratulations on BOTH sets MM... that's quite an accomplishment... TWICE!
    i, too, enjoy perusing each of your scans.
    did you happen to grow up in the la area at the time these were distributed?
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a really cool set!

Scott
  • blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Congrats, Mark! The '59 Morrells are the toughest by far to find which makes your top ranked registry sets all the more impressive. I really think that Morrells suffer from a lack of recognition. Someone should write an article and submit it to SMR! Where's Kevin S.? image
  • I'll tell you something....those cards are beautiful! I had never seen them before.

Maybe it's because I'm a Dodger fan or a fan of older baseball, but these are great lookin' cards. What do these cards typically cost?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • MM, congrats! It's always a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally find the last card in a particuloar set, and those are great looking sets.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Mark................Terrific accomplishment on reaching 100%........as others have already noted , I really enjoyed looking at all the scans you provided ! My favorite , would have to be the Jim Gilliam card of him fielding , very unusual pic of a player fielding ! ........Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Mark - congrats to you! Very nice job on an underappreciated set!

• image Mark!

What's next?
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Great job Mark! I know how much this set has meant to you over the years, and you certainly deserve to be top dog on it. Now you need to get them to tweek the weighting so you can really distance yourself from the #2 guy, Sybil.
    I think it is significant that singles from this set virtually never come up, as opposed to the other 2 years that are relatively easy. In terms of availability it has to be one of the toughest sets from the '50's and '60's, right up there with Briggs and Hunters and Stahl Meyers.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your comments. This is indeed an incredibly difficult set; singles come up very rarely and most often in pretty much ungradable condition. I've toyed with the idea of doing an article about this set because there is so much about it that sets it apart from the other two years of this issue, but there are also some important questions unanswered - most importantly, why are the '59s so scarce? I understand that Yeko bought up a lot of surplus '60s and '61s, but there was no such surplus of '59s. Aside from the stars (Koufax, Snider and Drysdale), two of the toughest commons are Neal and Gilliam. Two copies of the Koufax card sold on ebay last year for over $1500 a piece, raw, and I don't think either was as nice as mine, although I could be wrong. I better go to the whip before that #2 bastid catches me!

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."