Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone in fear of being De-Throned?

As October 31st is rolling up quickly, anyone in fear of being knocked off their #1 perch?

Comments

• Options
    Nope, since I am the only one with a registered set.

The one thing I am worried about is that I will not get my grades back in time for me to make the deadline, and the required 75%.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    There will probably be mainly dethronings. Long live the king of Queens.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you? image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nope
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I'm feelin' pretty good about right now, how bout' you?image
  • Options
    I'm already re-throned off the 1st place spot... image
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Last year I almost 'de-throned' the '84 Donruss registry leader and then....BAM! After all my hard work and moving into #1, I got smacked back to #2 by Bill's now #1 set in the last week or two!

This year? Couldn't catch up to Bill. There's always next year image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I'm feelin' pretty good about right now, how bout' you?image >>

Excellent.....excellent.image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I'm looking over my shoulder every day to see if the Fuzz is going to catch me in 1961 Topps Football.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    FEAR THE FUZZ.

But with that said John i keep finding all the SAINTS cards for my sets hard to come by hmmmmmm image
  • Options
    If you need PSA 8 1961s let me know what you need. I have a stack of 8's that I've been meanig to list on ebay.
    John Vineyard

• Options

Only 10 adding days left!!
  • Options
    I have taken the #1 spot in the Steve Carlton BASIC set.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I keep #2 in my radar at all times.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

Nice job browntoni. Hopefully you can hang in that # 1 spot for 7 more days.
  • Options

7 days left image
  • Options
    Just got my sub results today. I have been patienly waiting since 9/6
    100 cards all for the puckett master set. Only about fifty are currently listed.
    Biggest highlight
    1985 O-pee-chee PSA 10 first ten out of 70 plus cards subbed.

I feel that I had to gloat a little
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I am not real worried about my 1900 Copes Famous Golfers set. Heck I don't know if anyone else even HAS a complete set.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1985 O-pee-chee PSA 10 first ten out of 70 plus cards subbed.
    >>

Those '85 OPC are sweet. Nicer stock and gloss. They don't fade or turn yellow/cream like the Tiffanies.

Scan it if you get a chance.
  • Options
    It won't be for another 6 days, I don't want to tip my hand too much
  • Options
    I'm toast in 1971 Kellogg's Basic. Not sure about the Master set.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Sure Mick - you may not be tops on 71 Kellogg's anymore. But who else on these boards can say that they picked up an NBA team! Nice going on the deal with the Hornets! Sounds like it will work out well for all concerned.

And for being dethroned - I'm pretty confident that I'll still own 72 Topps this year. Although I'm getting more competition for PSA 10's lately than I've seen before - so who knows about next year...

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    This is my first year with PSA set registries, but I don't think there will be much competition for my #1 Nate Colbert Basic and Master set.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Scott,

Whatever floats your boat! Thats what makes the registry so much fun. There may only be a couple of knuckleheads in the whole country who collect the niche cards you do. But, here's where you can find em...

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>...There may only be a couple of knuckleheads in the whole country who collect the niche cards you do. But, here's where you can find em... Frank >>

LONG LIVE PEPE!!! image

JEB.
  • Options
    And the FUZZ finally caught me on 1961 Topps Football - almost. We're both at 8.34 - but I'm still ahead by .003 -- 8.338 to 8.335. Good job Fuzz.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    John,
    Thought when my snipe did not go off on the Brown in nine a couple of weeks ago, that all was lost. Still at least close and something to be said for that. Hoping for two more packages by the deadline but haven't checked the mail today. May be able to squeeze just a little more out for this year.
    Also have a package pending that could put me past the mighty MOSH on another set if it gets here in time. We shall see.
    One way or the other it has been fun in the 61 quest this year. It is an honor even to get close to the guy that has had two different sets win this series. No matter what, that still makes you the King.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I'll hang onto my only 1st place position. Fortunately nobody else seems to like the '60 Fleer football set!
  • Options
    Hey Fuzz - if you get one more 9 by Monday you'll have me beat. I've posted everything I have for now. But if you beat me, watch out for next year.image
    John Vineyard

• Options
    Looks like my 75 Topps Mini Set will be safe for at least one more year....Lol. Like Frank says....only a few of us knuckleheads collecting the Mini's......Why this is so is beyond me? But I'm sure having a great time perfecting my set while few seem interested image
  • Options

As for me, i am done adding as well. So unless Alfaro or Randall have something up there sleeves. It has been a fun year. I went from 15% to 86%. I would like to thank a few guys on the board as well who helped--Brian Kritz--Yazfan08---Jeb---Randall---4SC---DSL---Jon Miselnicky.
  • Options

Dave,

Hold on there a minute. After my latest additions, I'm right on your heals for the 1900 Cope's lead.

Great set man. Can't wait for the scans.

Peter
    Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    I'm always sweating that MOSH or Bryant will pick up the Maravich '72 Comspec - all they would need to blast me out of #1 Maravich Master Set. I'd probably buy any Comspecs just to keep them out of their hands.

I wish I knew where they keep getting all these Maravich 10's!!! Keep me in mind if you run across any new 10's.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection
  • Options
    John,
    And the bad news is................ I have two 9's that should be here Monday and an upgrade from 7 to 8 on another card. I just find it refreahing that we both got MOSH on this one. At least this time. You can ask Skinsfan, I share well so I would n't be surprised if you are back in front in no time. Great set you have.
    And Nearmint, I am starting to pick up a few 9's from the 60 Fleer set when I can find them cheap. It will probably be a few years but I am headed your way.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options

I don't know who MOSH is, but i hope he never likes Carew image
  • Options

4 hours to go!!image
  • Options
    BRUTAL!

A surprise attack in the Carew Master Set.

Alfaro spanks it out of the park.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

I knew it was coming as i noticed in the last two months the high grades coming through PSA and DSL and 4SC weren't listing them, so someone other than them had to have to them. Well, now we know. Nice to see what he has. His basic Carew is now over 9.00 GPA.

Carew Basic Set
  • Options
    Looks like I stayed as #1 in the 1971 Topps baseball set w/o any last minute additions from the #2 or #3. Given that 9's are so expensive you really have to spend the $ these days, unlike the 1972's, when garden variety 9's cost $30 on average last year and today can be had for half that.

SW
  • Options
    Now that it is over I can look back in review at what happened.

#1 - I would like to thank Vineyard for the #1 set. I won two PSA 9's a couple of months ago from him which made the difference. Without them I am second. He is still the King on this set. Thank you John.

#2 - MOSH kicked my butt. Hard. I was still able to scrap together about half of the sets that I won last year which doesn't seem that bad. The sets I was focused on stealing at the last second didn't get graded in time. This year he won. My Christmas wish is for MOSH to start BB ASAP. Once he focuses elsewhere, life will get back to normal just losing to Skinsfan, Wolfbear, Evanov, Fab Frank, etc.

#3 - I did get something that MOSH didn't get this year and I am not sure he has yet. I get a cert for BB on a standard Topps set over 500 cards. Now, I didn't have the best set. Still don't. Probably won't ever....... but I won. At least this year. It is for 66 T BB Master. There are a few basic sets better that haven't switched over to master and I snuck in with a partial listing (not too bad a set either).

How did some of thes rest of you guys do?
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Fuzz - I could have lived a long and happy life without ever knowing I contributed to my own defeat. Watch out for next year. We'll see how close I can get to a staight 9 set.

And congratulations on a great '61 set.

I retained the top spot in 1970 - for now. And I still have the Archie Manning player sets. MOSH actually knocked me out of top spot on several Saints team sets, but I held them off on 1980 Stop & Go. I also held on to few non sport sets.

John Vineyard

• Options

<< <i>How did some of thes rest of you guys do?
    Fuzz >>

Pretty well this year, with no last minute changes to fend off. Overall went from one #1 set to five in 2005.

1. I had a close #2 to MOSH on the Payton Basic set last year, but pulled in a PSA 10 on the 1978 Payton on an August submission to pull us even with each set having the highest graded on each card. Still amazed at the lack of 10s on the 1984 and 1985 Topps cards.

2. I started my Payton Master set in earnest in February, with the goal of cracking the Top 5 this year, but became obsessed and actually overcame MOSH. Did a lot of submitting and made a couple of swaps and am now sitting pretty well. Will continue to try to get the highest graded copy of every card I can lay my hands on, with several upgrade submissions in the works.

3. I was pretty much middle of the pack in 1970 Kellogg's FB until back-to-back submissions in June/July landed 12 and 11 PSA 10s, respectively, including some first ever HOFers like Butkus, Jurgenson, Griese, and Deacon Jones. Now just slowly adding as we go, with some submissions in the works.

4. Made some nice gains in the 1970 Kellogg's BB, adding some late PSA 10 high pointers like Bench, Jackson via eBay and Gibson, Morgan via submission. That one is a very slow climb, and still have a long way to go to get anywhere near "thegemmintman".

5. I came to the Sayers sets late, but actually luckily found a pretty good copy of every card listed in the Master set in just a couple of months, about 1/3 via the submission route. A distant #2 on the Sayers Basic set however. Hopefully this will be an active area in the coming months.
  • Options
    Anyone who could hold off MOSH gets an "atta boy" in my book.
    He is agressive and determined and cannot be beaten easily.
    Congrats on the wins. But can you do it again next year?
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Well, as my luck usually goes, I didn't get my grades until the day AFTER the deadline (thanks PSA), so I have to wait until next time. Good news is, nobody else has yet to register a '59 BB Rams set, so with an award or without, I guess I am still on top, and the only player in town.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options

<< <i>He is agressive and determined and cannot be beaten easily.
    Fuzz >>

I may resemble that remark. We'll see.
  • Options
    Phew! Still #1 with the Maravich Master Set, 1967 Philly Saints Set (sorry J. Vineyard) and Billy Cannon Basic Set (no competitors). I'll still buy any 1972 Comspec Maravich cards - just to keep them off the market.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection
  • Options
    Well i hung onto 67 phillys but it was not easy with those two SAINTS guys sucking up every high grade card , Anyone know who they are anyway image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Scott - I took a look at your Nate Colbert Master Set, and congratulations are surely in order. Now you just need to get them to slab a 7-11 cup of Nate. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I have 7 non sport sets in which I am 99% certain I will be number one in. Of course they are newer sets oldest from 97 but since they are rare and are autographed star trek cards, maybe they will get some competition from other collectors. Competition makes it more fun so I hope people get there star trek like mine graded. star trek ds9 profiles. Star trek ds9 MFTFstar trek ds9 complete. enterprise season 1. enterprise season 2. enterprise season 3. enterprise season 4
  • Options
    Well,

I pulled off 2 awards, not too bad for my first year on the registery.

Kirby Puckett Basic
    Alan Page Basic

And of course tonight I got the card that puts me in first in the Tony Oliva basic. A day late and a dollar short.