Home Metal Detecting
Options

Another Celtic gold...

...It is an early uninscribed issue, Quarter-Stater, North Lincolnshire Scyphate type, boar left, rev. large S with crescents and pellets around, 1.39g/12h (BMC 3190; VA –; S 395). Striking crack at 10 o’clock and edge a little ragged, otherwise nearly very fine, rare.

I thought it was a gilded button when I first dug it and the reverse was full of mud. image

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    imageDude that is sweet!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    Show us the dirt where you are digging these fantastic finds. detail! detail!
  • Options

<< <i>Show us the dirt where you are digging these fantastic finds. detail! detail! >>

Here is the dirt, the two dark fields below the red line (road)
    The paler squggles in the surrounding fields are the old Iron Age and Roman river systems (now dry), they were tidal in those times, but the land has since been reclaimed.
    *Grid references removed for my benefit.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Darn......we can't even think about that kind of stuff here...a find in the early 1800's is considered great....image
  • Options
    Hey, Dino- I saw you over on the Troy detector forum. You use a Shadow? I know Tesoros are big on that side of the pond.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, another gold coin Dino? image
    You getting bored of those things yet?!

Just kidding... wow!

• Options
    That is just amazing!!!!!
    You are goldfinger!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Thanks for entering me in this great giveaway!! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    The land there seems littered with gold. WOW, nice work. What kind of market value can you put on one of these (not the value of the gold content)?
  • Options
    So, Dino-

Do you ever have a rotten day and get discouraged? I'm sure you do- we all do.

But the next time you do, I urge you to consider this: you are living my fondest dream.

Maybe, just maybe, I will get to that side of the pond just once, before I fade away.

• Options

<< <i>So, Dino-

Do you ever have a rotten day and get discouraged? I'm sure you do- we all do.

But the next time you do, I urge you to consider this: you are living my fondest dream.

Maybe, just maybe, I will get to that side of the pond just once, before I fade away. >>

Yep, sure do, sometimes I just don't find any old gold. image
    Just joking with you, of course there are the odd day when I only dig junk, but luckily I have some prime land to hunt and usually find a keeper or two...even if they are just grotty Roman bronzes.
    Incidentally, further to your earlier question, yes I have two Shadow X5's and have used them since Jan 2003 when Troy Galloway came over to hunt and let me try one...I have'nt looked back since, they are awesome machines.
    I've attached a photo of the man, Troy Galloway hunting with me on a Roman site back in 2003.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087