Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the 1960 TOPPS football set worthy of collecting?

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you worthy of collecting it?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Yes, very nice selection of players at a reasonable price.
    You just can't go wrong collecting vintage football sets.

With that said I have two graded sets for sale on the registry in medium grade.

Jeremy
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Great set - lots of nice cards. Beware of centering issues and printing flaws such as snow and fisheyes. The Unitas card is particular difficult to get centered.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Small set of 132. You could build a complete set ALL PSA 8 for less than $2000.

What are the low pops in this set?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I had a lot of fun putting my set together and was able to sell it easily when I finished it. The Unitas card is probably the toughest...no nines exist. The Ameche, Galimore and George Preas cards were also tough. Centering and print dots were a big problem for me.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    My example of the previously mentioned Unitas card.

Centering issues and snow, not to mention John U's "lost in space" look.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, just seems odd that most PSA-8 1960 Baseball Cards go through the roof and the Football cards can be had for less than grading fees in many instances, makes very little sense to a baseball card collector, almost to good to be true.image
  • Options
    This is probably one of my favorite 60's football sets, even without a marquee rookie card. Lot's of affordable stars and HOFer's. Who cares if the 8's don't stack up (pricewise) to the 8's of baseball, all the more reason to collect it in my opinion.

I haven't bought any graded cards for my set, and the majority was put together before grading became popular anyway, so I had no idea that the Unitas was tough with regards to centering.

Here is my raw Unitas,

It's an upgrade from my previous one. It's pretty good on centering, but does have slight touches on the corners and some small printing "flecks" here and there. Still, I like it and probably won't upgrade it further............unless a greaaaaaaaaaaaatttt deal falls into my lap somewhere.image
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    How's that 1950's football olympics page coming? >>

Hmm, was I going to do one of those? Should be easier since there are a lot fewer sets. I'll put it on my list. I'm working on a new ebay search page, too.

Mike

Try collecting nines i think you will find the prices may make you feel better image