Home Metal Detecting

A nice little Celtic quarter...

...another nice dug coin, I like this one a lot, very pretty, shame about the chip.

It's an Ingoldisthorpe type quarter stater of Trinovantes. 50-40BC. 39b-39c in Spink

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
imageimageimage

Comments

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    SUPER!!!image
    Mark
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    It goes without saying that this is another hoover-worthy post..! image
    *pauses to wipe drool off keyboard*

That is one tiny coin - looks like some 9 mm x 10 mm?
    Amazing the detail it has despite its small size!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • A proper description, and better pictures...

Ingoldisthorpe type, Quarter-Stater, crescent with three appendages, pellet in annulet with tail between first and second, rev. radial lines behind comb, bird to right, 1.28g/12h (Sills 16; BMC –; VA –; S 39B). Well-centred on a slightly irregular flan, nearly extremely fine, very rare.

*I'm damned if I can see a bird though. Unless it's the squiggly line halfway up. I like to know what the Celts took to stimulate them. image

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Once again Dino, VERY NICE!!!!!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Excuse me while I mop up around my computer and sop up the drool off the key boardimage
    Sweet find Dino!!!HH,Tom
  • Very cool. Are you detecting ploughed fields? What is the average depth of your finds?

• << <i>Very cool. Are you detecting ploughed fields? What is the average depth of your finds? >>

Yes, only ploughed fields, majority of finds in the top 6", some believe it or nor are eyes only!
    imageimageimage
  • Fantastic find! On being a rare find from 1-10 were do you place it? What is that babe worth?

• << <i>Fantastic find! On being a rare find from 1-10 were do you place it? What is that babe worth? >>

Number 8 on the scale, gold hammered are harder to find. This coin I sold at Dix Noonan Webb in London on 28th Sept for £420 pounds sterling.
    imageimageimage