Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are modern coins officially dead?

I have been tracking the auctions of modern coins and have noticed that prices are in a steady decline. I was just wondering if any one else has noticed or really cares. That part of the market was how I funded most of my collection, and will put a damper on my future spending. I have especially seen this in the Kennedy and Roosevelt series!!

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hardly. Some have been rising faster than sourdough in 200% humidity.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS just updated the Memorial Lincolns..Many went up again!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Why bother updating a 60-p ms67 from $5050 to $5250. There's only one. Most prices are still way wrong.

My opinion is moderns are on the decline because they are getting impossible to collect. Pcgs isn't grading any more pop tops whatsoever, all the previous graded ones are in collections, and whenever one does get sold, it's an overgraded piece of junk compared to how pcgs is grading now.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    The 2005 mint sets added quite a bit of supply, but genuine high grade circ coins are still tough.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed some price increases in the modern series but don't see that reflected in prices paid for coins. Almost every coin I see is selling way below the guide. Top pops are just that and you could sell them in a depressed market, but let's say one grade lower.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch the high grade coins much but the lower grade stuff is starting to stir again
    after being suppressed for the last year and a half or two. That price decline was probably
    caused by a large influx of supply as speculators and a few tired bulls dumped material into
    a very strong market. While the market was (and is) very strong, it is still very small compared
    both to the other coin markets and the original mintages of most of the moderns ('65-'98).

The stirring now are interesting since one is left to imagine that the supply is mostly exhausted
    and there are virtually no raw moderns left and, more importantly, no supply remaining in the
    hands of speculators.

It should also be remembered that while wholesale prices of these raw coins are lower than in
    the past, that larger and larger percentages are trading at retail prices. Selling such coins at
    retail was virtually unheard of a few years ago but now the only sellers who seem to be able
    to maintain inventory are selling at double bid or more. When (if) the market can no longer sup-
    ply these dealers the price increases will be dramatic.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under grades in the Kennedys and the Washingtons have slacked off. But the MS67's and MS68's prices sure have been stronge, at least it seems that way on the ones I've picked up.
    And if you want to check if an area is off just try buying a PCGS MS66 or MS67 Washington from the late 1980's or early 1990's. The PCGS price guide for these shows thay are woth $25 to $30 in MS66 and the last couple I tried to get I was outbid in the $80 range.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    AHH the price list. A lot better than the old one, but still needs tweaking from time to time. And as the red and green arrows show, they are doing just that. Roosies as an example.. Old list showed 1970 ms66 at $15.00, they sold for $100.00 - $175.00. I lost a bid at $150.00 won another a few months later at $115.00 and was very happy. Now the list shows $70.00, and even with a couple more being made, that seems like a fair price. I now have 4 since I submitted three myself a while back. And by last count 7 of the top 15 Registry sets, including the # 1 and # 3, had lesser grades for 1970 than ms66. But prices being as soft as they are Roosevelts, I won't put them up for auction and give them away. With my income I have no choice but to recover the costs involved with buying the rolls along with submission and shipping costs. Not to mention ebay costs, and paypal taking a bite.
    So are moderns dead? No, but they are from time to time on the sickbed. Remember average Joe is the biggest collector of moderns. You see, average Joe can't afford the classics no matter how much he admires them. And things like back to school costs, gas prices, vacation, and Christmas are things he has to spread the costs out over the months.
    Dan
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    The market for moderns is definately not dead. I believe that parts of it are however. For instance MS68 and lower Satin Finish coins essentially sell for nothing. But this has to do with supply being more than demand. However, as Lindedad mentioned, there are coins that are in demand. A 1989-P MS67 Kennedy on average brings about $500! image

You cant say that's dead.
  • Options
    Kenndys in 66 are still stong compared to 3 or 4 years back, I wish they would still be at the same price level as they were when I started my set.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Eagle prices increase as pops rise.

Demand continues to outweigh supplies.

So modern coins in my eyes,

are not dead. image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    oh my.....................................

my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, modern coins are NOT dead.

You need to look at your history to understand what is happening.

Here is an example of what happened to the prices of the 1932 to 1940 Washington quarters series when they matured from modern coins to classic coins.

Please note that I have used the "Red Book" by R.S. Yeoman to provide a consistent comparison.

1951-2 Red Book, 4th Edition / Unc. Note: the 3rd edition Red Book was the 1949 Red Book!!!! At this point the 1932 to 1940 Washington quarters ranged from 11 to 19 years old. Thoroughly modern George!
    1932-= 1.75
    1932-D 32.50
    1932-S 17.50
    1934-= 2.75
    1934-D 2.50
    1935-= 2.50
    1935-D 2.00
    1935-S 3.25
    1936-= 1.75
    1936-D 9.00
    1936-S 2.75
    1937-= 1.50
    1937-D 1.50
    1937-S 3.50
    1938-= 1.50
    1938-S 2.50
    1939-= 1.50
    1939-D 1.50
    1939-S 2.25
    1940-= 1.50
    1940-D 2.25
    1940-S 1.00

Now look at the values of the same series subset in 2005. The Washington quarters are no longer "modern" as they now range between 65 and 73 years of age.

2005 Red Book, 58th Edition / MS-65.
    1932-= 400.00
    1932-D 24000.00
    1932-S 6500.00
    1934-= 125.00
    1934-D 1500.00
    1935-= 120.00
    1935-D 900.00
    1935-S 300.00
    1936-= 90.00
    1936-D 1500.00
    1936-S 400.00
    1937-= 100.00
    1937-D 150.00
    1937-S 300.00
    1938-= 250.00
    1938-S 225.00
    1939-= 60.00
    1939-D 100.00
    1939-S 300.00
    1940-= 75.00
    1940-D 300.00
    1940-S 70.00

Take a look at the 1934 -P and 1937-S and compare them to the 1934-D and 1935-D. The 1934-P and 1937-S were semi-keys back in 1951 and were more expensive than the 1934-D and 1935-D but have faded badly from the scene. The 1934-D and 1935-D have come on strong in the last 20 years.

It takes years for modern coins to sort themselves out. What was rare and expensive in 1951 was not necessarily so rare and expensive many years later. Collectors need to be aware of this "sorting out process." Values will rise and fall within specific dates in the series just as in the moderns. But dead? Hardly. Will they appreciate? Some or most yes; some or most may not. That is the trick of figuring out which ones will do best over a 50 year span.

*****The key is sticking around that long to find out !!!!*****
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Great post Oreville!
  • Options
    Oreville,

Your post makes good sense, as do most post here. It seems that the answer to the question is NO!! They may be a liitle sleepy but far from dead. So what's everyone collecting these days?

Dan,

I'm glad to see a Roosey buddy in here, I see you have made some upgrades lately to your set!
  • Options
    Thanks Fred.. Yes I have been doing some submissions. Some I use, some I pass on to who ever can use them. And as always some come back not quite as expected. I have some FB's in 05-D non satin finish that I'm getting ready to send in, but still looking for that 67fb for the series. MS 68's will be hard what with no mint set business strikes this year. Grades of 66-67FB should be no problem. Unless I just happened upon a bunch of good rolls. The P's are already on the pops report, so we know they are out there. Also as always I'm beating the seventy's trying to get the bands we all need, but not only are the coins tough to find, but tougher to get banded ones graded as such.
    Dan
  • Options
    No Way are moderns dead. As a matter of fact, I collect Modern as a series, and all other high grade " key " coins as type.
    Doing it this way, I make money EVERYTIME that I buy or sell.Trying to put together a " sludge " set of traditional coins , that I can't give away later on has ceased to be my objective.
    All anyone has to do is look at COMPLETE sets of large cents or morgan dollars in the registry. They almost don't exist. I must admit,I did the same thing, until I learned better.
    It's ok to collect that stuff in low grades, if you don't care if you ever get your money back . However, collecting the " keys " as type, and modern as a series has produced a profit Everytime.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AHH the price list. A lot better than the old one, but still needs tweaking from time to time. And as the red and green arrows show, they are doing just that. Roosies as an example.. Old list showed 1970 ms66 at $15.00, they sold for $100.00 - $175.00. I lost a bid at $150.00 won another a few months later at $115.00 and was very happy. Now the list shows $70.00, and even with a couple more being made, that seems like a fair price. I now have 4 since I submitted three myself a while back. And by last count 7 of the top 15 Registry sets, including the # 1 and # 3, had lesser grades for 1970 than ms66. But prices being as soft as they are Roosevelts, I won't put them up for auction and give them away. With my income I have no choice but to recover the costs involved with buying the rolls along with submission and shipping costs. Not to mention ebay costs, and paypal taking a bite.
    So are moderns dead? No, but they are from time to time on the sickbed. Remember average Joe is the biggest collector of moderns. You see, average Joe can't afford the classics no matter how much he admires them. And things like back to school costs, gas prices, vacation, and Christmas are things he has to spread the costs out over the months. >>

Great post!

I have countless Roosies to send in to be graded, but I get HAMMERED every time! I was told by a good friend to lay off sending in Roosies for now until PCGS loosens up. Now that seems like a bad thing to do, but here is why I've decided to hold for now:

I had a 1966 PCGS MS65FB, and up-graded to an MS66FB. So what to do with the undesirable 5FB, I sent it to my "Friend" and it was seen as a great up-grade potential. It was "Cracked-out" and re-submitted raw. Guess the grade...yep MS66! "Where's the beef?" image NO FB! What gives? Why did PCGS give FB before and now nothing? Beats me, but I will hold for now.

By the way, making 3 1970's in 66 is quite the "make" Best I could do is a few 65's.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    In high-grade proof Jeffs, at least the early ones, the prices seem stable if a bit stagnant. I DO know I see a whole lot less of them for sale. The best coins are rarely there to be had. The more "modern" moderns in PR70DCAM have indeed come down in price. These coins used to be real rarities -- with pops of less than 10. A little over a year ago they started making a lot more of them, post-'86 or so, and there are only a few PR70DCAMs with less than a dozen examples. Prices cam down as these became more available.

If PCGS stays tight on the pre-'64 coins, I think these coins will at least hold their own.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    Are modern coins officially dead?

Like she said in My Cousin Vinney.."that's a BS qauestion"

It assumes modern crap ever was alive.
  • Options
    Funny thing about "classic coins", they were modern crap in their day. And if all "modern crap collectors back then had your grey matter, well, would there be as many nice classic examples today? image
    Dan
  • Options
    Majorbigtime,

Something's are better left unsaid. With a sign line like that it's obvious to all what your comments are worth!! image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the biggest problem with the Modern market is that it's almost always called the Modern market, it's never seperated by issue or even denomination. it's as though we would be proclaiming the death of the Classic coin market because two-cent pieces weren't rising. that's ludicrous and everyone understands that. then we get to Moderns......................

if all collectors could set their bias---i really mean hatred!!---aside about the Modern market and comment/study/watch with the same intelligence and keen powers of observation as they do with other segments, the entire hobby would be better informed and well rounded.

• Options
    Be careful what you say about the majorbigtime. He's a lawyer and likes to throw his weight around on this forum. Actually, I thought he'd left the forum for greener pastures.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a lawyer and likes to throw his weight around on this forum. >>

And, he has a LOT of it to throw around. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Great post Oreville...............I think along the same line.

Remember collect what you like, thats what keeps it fun.

IMHO...I don't think "modern crap" is dead at all. I continue to collect high grade modern material, it too will be "old high-grade crap" someday.

xXx
  • Options
    PCGS's inability to consistently apply strike superlative's is a big part of the perceived weakness.

People can only be shat on so many times before they give up and switch collecting gears.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS's inability to consistently apply strike superlative's is a big part of the perceived weakness.

People can only be shat on so many times before they give up and switch collecting gears. >>

It's unbelieveable, isn't it? You should join the new, "Well Struck Coin Galaxy" club! So far, there are 3 members that belong to the club. CladKing, myself and my cat! Last week I bought him some glasses and a typewriter and made him secretary of the club. So don't look for the first club newsletter too soon but if you would like to join, just say aye!

Leo (former President of the WSCG)

Was this last post off the wall or what? image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    aye.................image
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The stirring now are interesting since one is left to imagine that the supply is mostly exhausted
    and there are virtually no raw moderns left and, more importantly, no supply remaining in the
    hands of speculators. >>

I can't begin to imagine.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    I would like to add that if the collecting of Jefferson nickels falls under the umbrella of modern crap, I would like to quote something from Bern Nagengast's book, "The Jefferson Nickel Analyst".

How nice is it?

Here is where the controversy occurs. Although general guidelines have been published defining the various grades of uncirculated, it is probably impossible to consistently interpret grade differences and when this fact is combined with personal preferences and experience, a nickel's (coin's) grade can be seen differently by different collectors and dealers. (And the argument continues today!)

Even the commercial coin grading companies vary in their standards, (they even contradict their own published standards) and so we see the phenomenon of the same coin, sold for different prices depending on the grading service that assigned the grade.

I could insert my own opinion but instead I will leave it to the numismatic fraternity to argue about it. One thing is certain- ultimately the determination of grade and price is between the buyer and seller, and if both are experienced, ultimately the price is the indicator of how nice the coin is.

I believe this statement could be the belief behind the "Well Struck Coin Galaxy" club, WSCG! Thank you XXX for joining up!

Regards, Leo

• Options
    Most purely Classic collectors would love it if nobody collected moderns. They would get far more for their old coins when they sell them. Classic coins are harder to find because generally mintages were far fewer and a lot of them have become unavailable because of loss or smelting. If modern coins were dead, it would be heaven for the old Classic coin collectors. Ya know, it just makes sense that if you're going to collect something, you should go for the oldest thing you can find or afford. Well I can't afford what I'd like to collect so I collect modern Lincoln cents and Kennedy halves. They are very interesting. They have history behind them. They have their rarities. Some have definite monetary value. They have beauty. They are something I can feel good about collecting. I like to share my experiences as well as read about other peoples experiences collecting them...just like the Classic collectors do. There's room for both modern and old collections in MHO.

If you think modern collecting is a dead horse maybe you should try buying a 1975 No-S Proof Set. And if you were lucky enough to own one, I'm sure you'd find a buyer should you want to sell it.

I am really into searching thru rolls for Lincoln cents right now and occasionally buying a coin for my Kennedy collection. It's all modern stuff and not particularly high grade. I have no problem with that because I have found some really nice modern stuff. I cherrypicked a 1960 lg/sm date Proof cent at a local shop, I found a 2005P Top Pop Lincoln business strike cent, I found in a box of cereal a promotional sacagawea dollar and cent set, I found a nice Kennedy DCam in a sms set and none of them cost me anywhere near what they are worth. I get a lot of satisfaction out of finding these coins myself and I'll either sell them or add them to my collection so I can look at them or show them to other people from time to time.

If you ask me, modern coins are NOT officially dead and NEVER will be!
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    moderns don't die, they become classics

modern commemoratives will become similar to the commemorative halves from the first half of the 1900's and the Columbians
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that Murphy is probably right. Some classic collectors preferred it when everyone
    ignored the moderns and they wish the coins would go away. They deluded themselves into belie-
    ving the coins had gone away for generations and then they all suddenly came rushing back. Most
    believe that every cent spent on a modern coin comes straight out of their pocket and overlook the
    fact that many of those buying moderns today will be virtually the sole source of the demand for clas-
    sics in twenty years. They believe the money going to the graders is subtracted right from the value
    of their coins and overlook the fact that their coins are highly dependent on third party opinion be-
    cause of counterfeiting and other problems unique to classic coins. They fear changes to the grading
    system because they know their coins are dependent for sale on independent evaluation. They be-
    little and mock those who collect these coins and forget that they won't exist in the future at all if they
    aren't collected today. They resent collectors being able to find valuable coins in circulation or in deal-
    ers' stock for a small fraction of its value.

It's ironic that some of them go out of their way to bash the moderns in threads and conversations
    whilr forgetting that it is not a given that the next generation of collectors will have much interest in
    the old coins. It's especally ironic since in a side by side comparison of classics and moderns as a col-
    lectible it is the moderns which win on almost every point.

Neither classics nor moderns are ever going really to die but they will wax and wane separately for
    another generation until their fates are linked together inexorably.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladking, very well put.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    Think about this:

When I was a 10 year old collecting in 1967, 1932-D quarters were "only" 35 years old. They were Modern Crap in their own right at that time!

Now, 1970 coinage is as old (35 years) as the 32-D was at that time. Now I'm not saying anything more except that 1932-D quarters are a thousand times more common than a 1970 Roosevelt with Full Bands.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Very well put Cladking!

Another reason why some folks openly denounce moderns, it's the stingy trait of being egotistic to hive off the competition. This scheme is dependent on the flavor of the collector. There will always be this division or constant debate. To each his own. Simple education would help the problem but it's not all that entertaining,

Leo

• Options
    I am happy to see that this thread is still around. I posted it awhile back when someone at a local show heckled me about collecting Roosevelt dimes. He told me that now was the time to re-evalute my collecting habits or lose it all. He exclaimed the moderns were dead. I pointed out to him some of the obvious reasons that modern coins will always be part of collecting and noted that all coins were modern at one time or another. I think that most of the good reasons are already noted in this post, and just wanted to add my part. Fred
  • Options
    How about this... The US Mint decides moderns coins are dead, and decides classics are where the needs and desires of all collectors are focused. So they decide to start reminting the old CLASSIC coins. Would this make the "TRUE" collector happy???
    Yeah man, we all want our 1804 silver dollars in PCGS MS69 holders. And while we'er at it, a cool 1884-S Morgan would be nice in MS69 Satin Finish.

Dan
  • Options
    $1 1995 W Silver Eagle
    $1 2001S PR Sacagawea
    $5 Gold Jackie Robinson
    $50 2004 PR Platinum Eagle

These are examples of modern coins which were bought at low levels compared to there value today. The 2004 Platinum $50 sells for over $1500 raw and was originally bought from the mint at about $450 it is only one year old. So the answer is no.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The 2004 Platinum $50 sells for over $1500 raw and was originally bought from the mint at about $450 it is only one year old. So the answer is no."

Heck, I'll raise the bid to $2,000 sight-seen for the raw coin resulting in a 300% move up on that coin in less than 9 months (better return than Google) LOL Just PM me this week if you want to sell any!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.