Home Metal Detecting
Options

Best UK find this year, well you did ask!

Ok, so you want to see some of my Uk finds.
I don't know what you are into, so I'll start with one of my better finds of this year.
I dug this on the 21st August, and it was a first for me.

It is a piece of Bronze Age ring money, 19mm x 17mm x 7mm and weighing in at 11.9 grams.
It is yellow and white gold wire hammered around a bronze core. Dating to between 1100 - 600 BC.
It's hard to believe that the people 3000 years ago had this technology isn't it?

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Drool....

Now where did I put those flight schedules...? image

Thanks for sharing - please show more! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Drool....

wow....nice one!.....what's something like that worth?
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    They currently fetch abour £100 ($200) per gram, so this one being quite heavy was a bonus.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    image That's absolutely amazing!!! image
    Mark
  • Options
    Remarkable!!

How do the laws in England work when it comes to coins and artifacts? Are you legally allowed to keep what you find, or are there restrictions?
  • Options
    Very nice find Dino. I have seen this on the UKDN site and was absolutely amazed.

Was this found here in East Anglia near you in Cambridgeshire? I'm just right down the road from you at the bases with Ursa Major. As a matter of fact, I use to live right there at Littleport until I moved closer to the base.

Once again, VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Remarkable!!
    How do the laws in England work when it comes to coins and artifacts? Are you legally allowed to keep what you find, or are there restrictions? >>

This particular piece, because it contains more than 10% precious metal, and is over 300 years old (just) it needed to be declared to the authorities as treasure trove.
    It has now gone to the British Museum to be assessed, if it is declared treasure (it will be), then a committee will appraise it with a sensible market value.
    The committee consists of archaeologists, dealers etc.
    Once the figure is decided, then any museum in the UK can purchase it for the said amount.
    The monies payable are split 50/50 between the finder and the landowner.
    If no museum wants it, or cannot afford the treasure item, then it is disclaimed and sent back to the finder to dispose of as he wishes...monies again to be split 50/50 with the landowner.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to believe that the people 3000 years ago had this technology isn't it?

Our mint should do half as good...Do the same laws apply for sunken treasure's?

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice find Dino. I have seen this on the UKDN site and was absolutely amazed.

Was this found here in East Anglia near you in Cambridgeshire? I'm just right down the road from you at the bases with Ursa Major. As a matter of fact, I use to live right there at Littleport until I moved closer to the base.

Once again, VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!! >>

Yeah Steve did tell me you were there as well, I live in Ely and detect most of the land around it out to Norfolk.
    You and Steve will have to hook up for a days hunt with me before your tour is over.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dino,

That sounds real good. I am leaving the UK at the beginning of Feb so it looks like we will be cold when we go. It doesn't bother me though, I'm ready!!!!

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Man that is a cool find!!HH,Tom