Home Metal Detecting

Sharpless Family Commemorative Coin ID?

This forum is exactly the sort I have been looking for. After reading some of the post replies I can see that there are some expert advisors using this place. And that's the seriousness many other forums lack. This is a coin I found metal detecting. Not bad either considering I had only received it along with two wheaties for my effort. But what a find. It is comparable in size to a siver dollar, just a bit thincker and slightly wider. Starting with obverse clockwise from left: Bi-centennial Sharless Family Reunion; Held 8. mo. 24. 1882. Reverse: John Sharpless Rock; Ridley Creek NR, Chester PA; John James Joseph; in the picture the rock is dated 1682! I have only been able to find info on the Sharpless Family but I have come across nothing about the coin itself. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thank you. Good luck friends.

Comments

• Found this online, hope it helps. And yes this is a great site, found it a few months ago, good people. Take Care--Digger.

Biographical Sketch of William & Walter DENNY; Delaware County, PA

Contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Sandra Ferguson <ferg@ntelos.net>.

Copyright 2004. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/copyright.htm
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/pa/pafiles.htm

from CHESTER AND ITS VICINITY DELAWARE COUNTY IN PA, by Martin 1877

"John Sharples came from Ratherton or Hadderton, in the county of Chester,
    England. He married Jane Moore of the same place, in 1662. They had 7
    children, Phebe, John, Thomas, James, Caleb, Jane and Joseph. The whole family,
    with the exception of Thomas, who died at sea, 5mo, landed at Upland on 6mo 4,
    1862, more than 2 months before the arrival of the "Welcome." IN one place
    (Chester MM records, "Thomas Sharpless, son of John and Jane Sharpless, dyed the
    17th 1st mo, 1682, at sea."
    At Sharpless; Mills on Ridley Creek, there is quite a curiosity.
    Engraven on a rock on the banks of the creek, are the initials I.S. 1682, which
    marks the spot where John Sharpless, the original settler, erected his cabin, on
    his purchase that year. In the records of the Sharpless family, it is set forth
    that they took up part of the land purchased of Wm Penn on Ridley Creek, about 2
    miles NW from Chester, where they fell a large tree and took shelter among the
    boughs thereof, about 6 weeks, in which time they built a cabin against a rock,
    which answered for their chimney back, and now contains the date of the year
    when the cabin was built - viz, 1682, in which they dwelt 20 years, and there
    they all died, except the mother and 3 sons, in which time Joseph learned the
    trade of house carpenter, and when of age built the first dwelling house, which
    is now standing *(1877) and occupied by one of their descendants. Part of the
    original floors are still in use, being fastened down with wooden pins of about
    an inch n diameter, instead of nails. It is a sizeable 2 story dwelling; the
    walls of stone."

• Excellent resorce Digger, thank you. This was a very prominant, and business oriented family so I have read. There are even Sharpless & son trade tokens out there too. It's just I haven't be able to find any info on this coin. I have read about the family reunion. Must be something, alot of people I'd imagine considering they had it "coined!" LOL Take care Digger, and good luck, Chris in S Jersey
  • Neat provenance on that token. Great find Chris.
    Mark
  • Cool find Chris!Sorry can't help on the info for the coin.HH,Tom