Home Metal Detecting

Little slow here,so I have a question

gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
When hunting the beach,where do you find your most .On the shore line,or closer to inland.
Also would the tide make a difference in your hunt?

Al

Comments

• Hi Al,

I usually find more in the wet sand. There are usually "pockets" of items
    that gather together due to a low spot and the surf usually pushes a group
    of items into it. I like low tide since it allows you to explore more wet sand
    (and are more likely to find those pockets).

I'm no pro, but I bet the expert beach hunters here will have a lot more to
    say...

HH!

Rick image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick
    That's more than I new before I postedimage.I never did hunt the beach,but intend to when I go to S Cal.
    When it warms upimage.I also forgot to ask what settings are used on the DFX.
    Coins only,or coins and jewlery?...(new detector,and haven't used it yet)
    Thanks .
    Al
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    It depends..

In the wet sand there is much less trash so many targets are coins (or better)... and I've noticed those pockets as well - not that I've found any spectacular pockets myself... yet!
    The finds also tend to be a bit older on average than higher inland I think.

But in some cases it seems the wet sand has been picked quite clean and I find more some stuff in dry sand 5-10 meters inland. There's gonna be a lot of trash there, but always coins as well.
    If "finding most" is defined as "face value of coins per hour detected" the dry sand has delivered better results for me (mainly as it takes a couple of seconds less to dig the average target) image
    (Your digging arm can get a bit tired in wet sand after a couple hundred targets image )

I don't have a DFX so not sure about its settings, but make sure you're finding pulltabs.. they could be gold rings image

Edit: Spelling
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

• << <i>Rick
    That's more than I new before I postedimage.I never did hunt the beach,but intend to when I go to S Cal.
    When it warms upimage.I also forgot to ask what settings are used on the DFX.
    Coins only,or coins and jewlery?...(new detector,and haven't used it yet)
    Thanks .
    Al >>

The DFX has a Jewelry/Beach setting preprogrammed. Just scroll down your menu
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info.Looks like I have a few of choices to try.The pockes make sents,and most intresting
    is less junk,but better coin/hits at low tide.
    Danny
    It would have helped if I went thru them allimage..Thanks.image
    Al