Home Metal Detecting

Some finds (and proof that detector+learning curve makes a difference..)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Things are a bit slow on the board right now it seems, so I'll post some stuff.

I had planned to go hunt a certain beach for quite some time now, but was always either out of the country or lazy. Last weekend I finally made it there, both Saturday and Sunday.
It's getting quite cold this time of year (near the freezing point in the morning) and it was extremely windy as well, so I had packed some warm clothes - if I'd put them all on, people would probably have thought a large blue(jacket)/black(pants) walrus was exploring the beach, mistakenly thinking fish (assuming that's what they eat) hide in the sand during the autumn months image
(There are no real walruses here though, in case someone is wondering. No ice bears either image )

Saturday:
It looked like it could start raining heavily, so I decided to take the White's PI Pro. I totally suck (in the negative way) with this detector so far, but didn't want to carry two detectors, and thought it would be good practice.
After several hours I had this miserable total: 19 coins, $3.7 (largely thanks to a single 2 Euro coin)
(A crappy picture to match the crappy finds)

Sunday:
Same weather, same place, same procedure - except this time I took the MXT instead.
I think there may be some truth in the "know your detector" sayings - as this time I got..
90 coins $26.4

That's more like it! No jewelry though image. Most of these coins also give iron/foil/pulltab signals so it seemed the place was being hunted alright.

Some coins of interest:

1 Kopek, Soviet Union 1967
The cold war was quite cold indeed back then... I was pleased to find this one, my first of this type. I had to clean (zap) it a bit more than I would have liked as it had some major stones and sand that had eaten into it... it's nearly impossible to get them off without making parts of the coin shiny I find... and with them on it looked butt ugly and would probably have punctured a 2x2 as well..
One of these days I'm going to work on retoning some coins to improve their eye appeal..

Large and thick they are not image (they're about the same size as a US 3-cent piece)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 20 Feninga
A new country for me - always nice. This one I had to clean as well - couldn't even see what I had at first..

Probably the best coin was this 5 penniä 1939
It's not a rare type by any means, but this one totally smokes the previous ones I've found in terms of condition.
Right now it looks like it will end up in my "dug Finnish type set" that I plan to put online at some point during the winter (as well as my "dug world coins")
1939 was a tough year with WW2 breaking out... perhaps this coin was struck during one of those days in late August/early September around the time when Poland was invaded..

imageimage

Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Thanks Erik, great pics and commentary (I like that side shot to show the thickness).

Hope all is well out there...

Rick image
  • Great finds and great story. I see what they mean by detecting pays for itself.image
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Great haul Zot! image

On my ACE250, the 1, 2, and 5 cent ring up as iron/foil and usually bounce to the 1c range. The 10, 20 and 50 cent ring between the 1c and 10c range with some bounce to the left of 1c and the €1 and €2 ring slightly to the left of 1c.

Definitely love finding those €1 and €2 pieces!
    Mark
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the €1 and €2 ring slightly to the left of 1c >>

Not always- at least not with the MXT! I assume it has to do with their bimetallic characteristics, but I've found them to be quite unpredictable.
    This summer I've found at least €200 in 1 and 2 EUR coins ringing in and below the pulltab range, sometimes also requiring low discrimination.
    On several beaches I've found almost only 5c pieces and low ringing 1€+2€ as the rest have been cherrypicked..
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro