Home Metal Detecting

Another ring today

I have been wanting to get out to the beaches here in the UK to try out my GTI 2500 on the sand to see if it was better than the one time I went out with the Ace 250. I was very disappointed in the performance of the machine on the beach. I managed to find 6 coins, 1 pull tab, a junk piece of metal (don't have a clue what it is), a little piece of brass from a toy and what I do believe is a gold ring. The only thing inside the ring is the letters AJ, number 916 and then three boxes that have symbols in them. I do believe that it is some kind of mark that is used here in the UK. (I guess it's not common in the states--I don't know, just taking a guess)

Here are the pics. My wife seems to think it isn't gold, but I think it is. Anyone have a clue? Also, do you like the prop? I got that from someone else here on the board recently. If I'm not mistaken, he used a Granny Smith and I have the Golden Delicious imageimage

imageimage
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    AJ more than likely a jewelers mark and 916 (.916 fine or 22K) Woohoo!!!! Nearly pure gold! How heavy is it?

Excellent find Speer34image
    Mark
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow!! Very cool speer34.image
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Alright!!! That's 22k gold indeed!

Hallmarks are standardized and mandatory in the UK (like in most other countries too, except the US for some reason..)
    With the help of Google you should be able to dechipher the symbols, including the date mark. Here's a link with some info:

UK hallmarking

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Sweet,nice going on the gold ring Speer!!HH,Tom