Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What's Your Criteria For A Coin To Be Called Self-Made.

I'm thinking of updating my registry sets, by utilizing the owners comments box, and typing in who I
acquired my coins from. But first I'd like to hear your opinions on a couple things.

Purchases from dealers or auctions are most common for me. Is it more appropriate to list a company
or user ID name instead of a personal name? Example:Michael T. Claus or RegistryNut?

My other thought regards our so called self-made coins. Exactly, what should self-made mean to all of
us? Obviously, if you hunt through rolls and submit to a TPG, this is a self-made coin. If you buy a raw
coin and have it graded, is this self-made? Example:Mint set coin cut out and submitted. If you crack out a coin and resubmit, is this self-made?

Any thoughts on this subject? After looking at the owners comments in many registry sets and talking to fellow collectors I have concluded that self-made has several definitions. And listing a company or user ID
rather than a personal name seems to be about 50/50.

RegistryNut
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self made to me is you got it raw and sent the coin in to PCGS, or You break it out of a holder and get a higher grade.

Just my feelings
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    I basically agree with PVetter.
    Raw coins graded are homemade/selfmade.
    Cracked out and then get same grade could be homemade/selfmade, if from third tier like pci,acg,ntc etc.
    Cracked out and get upgrade is homemade/selfmade.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self-made means you paid the grading fee. Simple IMO.
    Also edited to reply to the rest of your post. I usually put what was on the return address when I got the coin. I log in all my coins so in some cases I had to go back a couple of years to find who I got them from.
  • Options
    ptvetter image
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!