Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Best Auction Gallery to sell registry set

I plan to sell my registry set of Jefferson nickels. Who would you recommend using to sell the set? It is not a top set, but it has some very nice coins. I would like good exposure of the set. I have only used Heritage in the past to sell a few coins (very good experience). Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Mark

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    For Jefferson nickels, I will try BST first, and then Heritage.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    would you link you set?
    thanks
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to my set

SAJ Jeffersons
    Mark
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan to sell my registry set of Jefferson nickels. Who would you recommend using to sell the set? It is not a top set, but it has some very nice coins. I would like good exposure of the set. I have only used Heritage in the past to sell a few coins (very good experience). Thanks in advance for your opinions. >>

Mark

It's been fun watching your set grow. It's certainly a much better collection than mine!
    Bowers and Merena would be an option. Keep me posted on it's sale.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I guess I don't understand why you want to sell it, Mark. I'm not trying to pry into your personal life, really I'm not, but it would seem to me if it's not for pressing financial needs, why would you do it?

After all, it took you years to put together the 4th ranked all-time finest set of all times in this series. That was an outstanding accomplishment. Is there no pleasure in these coins after the hunt is over?
    I am not criticizing, I'm just looking at it from a collector's standpoint. I no longer actively collect, but I still have a rather extensive collection of US coins in high grades, mostly certified by PCGS with a few NGC examples thrown in, and I would never THINK of selling it. I'll have it until I die, then it will go to my children and grandchildren. At least, that's my plan.

I have helped put together some enviable sets for folks on and off the Registry, and I've only had 4 or 5 ever sell their sets when they were complete. The vast majority of my customers just collect for the pleasure of it (so they tell me) and if they Register their sets, they just want to see how their sets compare to others.

Is it the fact that the Registry competition is all about the hunt and not about the pleasure of collecting? I'm just trying to understand, not beating anyone up on this forum.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Hi Ira,

I'm considering selling for personal reasons. I may have to help out some in-laws some more in the near future. If another solution arises, I will keep the set.

Hey Leo

"It's certainly a much better collection than mine!"

I have seen enough of your collection through your photos to know that is not true.
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Ira,

I'm considering selling for personal reasons. I may have to help out some in-laws some more in the near future. If another solution arises, I will keep the set.

Hey Leo

"It's certainly a much better collection than mine!"

I have seen enough of your collection through your photos to know that is not true. >>

But your collection is more complete in the eyes of the PCGS enthusiastics! image
    I hope things work out for you.

Leo

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    1. BST boards
    2. eBay
    3. Heritage
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Just sent me Two Cent Piece set (and some others) off to B&M. So far I have been happy with the service. Let's see what the coins bring before I finialize my opinion. Was talking to Heritage, but they acted like they didn't have the time to talk to me. The total of the coins was about $40K. Guess I am considered small time to heritage.
  • Options
    Part of the joy of collecting is to find how your "eye" stacks up in the marketplace. While most of my favorites I still own, it is always fun to see how others are willing to "pony up" for nice coins. Leave them for my children and grandkids? No way. They have their own interests from raising show rabbits to tournament fishing to collecting cars.

I financed my daughter's wedding with the sale of coins in auction. I paid for part of an addition to the homestead with coins.

When the time is right, I'll be selling! I'm sure I'll keep a few, but what a blast when I put them on the market.

The hunt is the thing!

Yellowjacket
  • Options
    Very nice set.
    I think the first choice to sell the set is on the BST, then Heritages or Ebay.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi,
    why you want to sell is none of my business but as a collector I can only say:

a) congratulations on a great accomplishmnet and
    b) I hope that you reconsider selling.

Putting together a Top Level Registry Set takes a lot of time, money, patience and dedication. Getting monetary compensation may serve an immediate need but the financial return will never compensate the patience, time and dedication you put into building such a fine set.

Claude
    cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
    Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
    - Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
    - Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
    Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Should you decide to sell, IMHO from past experience with Auction Houses and the Bay, you would be much better off selling it to your fellow collectors. It saves you fees and spares them juice et al. Again, JMHO. image

Hope things work out for you. All that work and inevitably we collectors get attatched to our collections. It's hard to let go.image
  • Options
    I would love to sell directly to other collectors. The problem would be the time involved in selling each individual coin, shipping, etc. I am currently speaking with Bowers and Merena and I am waiting to hear an offer from Heritage. It does hurt to let the collection go. I will collect Jeffersons vicariously through other collectors and their sets. It could be a touch of the flu, but Franklins are starting to look interesting to me!
    Mark
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set! I saw several that I would love to have! If you do happen to list them on ebay, let me know. I will be happy to bid on some. Good Luck!
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Just something to think about... Superior tends to make the most sense to me as someone who watches and bids on many auctions. They tend to make quite a bit more money than some of the others, I still haven't figured out why.

I hope this helps!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Mark:

I certainly would not sell a set like this on the BST board. Heritage, B&M or Superior all seem like good choices. If you decide to sell some coins individually let me know.

Congratulations on a great set!

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Mark

The FUN show in January would be a good bet! I can think of a few Jefferson collectors making that show.

I also want to add that a complete set, such as yours, would fair better in an auction!

Leo

• Options
    Dear Mark:

You have quite a nice set there, congratulations, and I'm sorry to see you selling it, especially out of need.

I've had good experience with American Numismatic Rarities (John Pack), and also (to my surprise) with Heritage. Both did very well by me and I was extremely pleased with the treatments each gave my coins in their catalogs and with the prices realized.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Thanks JHF.

I have had a good experience with both Bowers and Heritage. Given my time schedule, the Bowers Baltimore sale in December works well for me. David Mayfield at Heritage has been great to work with in the past.

Mark