Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What Should This Be Worth?

A 1942-D/Horizontal D in PCGS AU58FS (full steps) image

Never been one before. Only FS sale from either Heritage or Teletrade was 1 from Heritage of an MS63FS last year that sold for over $12,000 image

PCGS has only graded 6 Full Step Examples to date. NGC only 2. Perhaps some of those 8 are double counted crossovers/crackouts???

It is the singly most heavily weighted coin in the registry set in the title.

It's hard to figure what is reasonable when there's never been a sale of a coin in a particular grade before and nearly no other easily verifiable sales. image

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MS62FS was around $2,000, so this should be lower.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know they give FS to AU coins.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    To get an idea of the number minted, I recently found 2 1942-D/Horizontal D in 6 unsearched circulated rolls of 1942-D nickels. But I don't know if this ratio also applies for AU and BU coins.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    For what its worth I have a couple of AU58's (one Pcgs and one Ngc) and both are very close to full steps. The 42-D seems to come pretty well struck as compared to other dates. With that said, I did not know that Pcgs gave the full step designation on AU coins.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's graded AU58FS it must be an NGC coin. My gut hunch is it's in the $600-$750 range, and probably more in a PCGS holder even without the FS designation.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Guess its worth $2,500-

Sold
  • Options
    Wow. I had that coin on my eBay watch list for the past month. It was posted within his store and used to be $1500 (if I remember right). Raises the price...and sells!

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty good price for a AU58FS example of this variety. And over 12 grand for MS63FS! I wonder what a MS65FS would fetch? Not that an EDS example actually exists! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection