Home Metal Detecting
Options

Turf?

I would like to invite you to enroll in a no-cost subscription to my monthly Turfgrass Management Newsletter. I am Dr. William A. Torello, retired Professor of Turfgrass Science and Management from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and currently a private consultant for all issues concerning professional turfgrass management. The newsletter has covered a range of topics from management of soil microbial populations and organic amendments to biological control issues and salinity/water quality concerns. You can review past articles as well as subscribe by going to my website at www.proturfconsulting.com.

I specialize in developing IPM/organic management programs for golf and athletic turf as well as professional lawn care and estate management. I am also available for presenting seminars and workshops as well as training sessions on all levels. My resume can also be accessed from my website.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Dr. William A. Torello
Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Plant and Soil Sciences
Turfgrass Management Program, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst

President, Professional Turfgrass Consulting, Inc.
Office: 413-665-8152
Cell: 413-658-8152
info@proturfconsulting.com
William_torello@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    What?
  • Options
    He said he needs somebody to mow the lawn.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing we wanna know about turf on THIS forum is the best ways to dig it up, not lay it down!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    If it comes in little 12" X 12" squares, how handy would that be? Just pick up one side and flip it over.
  • Options
    Dig it up! Dig it up! Dig it up!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>Only thing we wanna know about turf on THIS forum is the best ways to dig it up, not lay it down! >>

placergold, or should we call you Dr.Grass?
    What is the best way to dig a plug on a manicured lawn?
    I usually dig an eight inch diameter plug four to six inches deep and when I put it back I stomp it a bit and focus on the edges.
    Four lawns, and probably five hundred holes, and I've had four holes die. Is this a good average?
    Is it better to dig a plug wet or dry?
    What time of year is it least damaging to the roots?
    I have more, but let's start with this.
    Consider the information as payment for advertising on the MD forumimage
  • Options
    Phut,

Actually, making neat holes...no matter what size is a very good thing for most lawns. Consider how much golf courses use aeration machines to make thousands of holes to relieve compaction and increase oxygen/gas exchange. The worst time to "plug" is when the turf is very dry and will not recover since growth is at a low. When the turf is wet/moist, it will not be drought stressed and fill in pretty good. You can ensure recovery and look like a real hero by applying a bit of nitrogen fertilizer on and around the plug right after you put it back. Plug will recover very quickly and even green up a bit. MDing is really a good thing for most turfs.

As long as you keep the round "sod" piece together with its thatch and then fill in the holes with the soil topped by the "sod".

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Where are all those coins from the 1700's that you claimed to have found? They still soaking in the oil? Maybe that was your marketing plan........lure people in with a post about finding old coins, make an excuse why you aren't posting photos and then WAM, hit them with free advertising for your turf building business on a Metal Detecting forum.
  • Options
    Boy, you are paranoid. Yes, some are still soaking in olive oil. Others are not, particularly the 1774 one reale which came out of the ground in real great shape. I'm still at a loss as to how to post pictures. If you can give me a real simple way to do....I'll do it. Also, last week before the rains I found a clothes iron, what looks like the metal part of a quill pen, another musket ball and some buttons. No coins. I am really computer challenged. I tried the linked directions someone...I think laser, had sent, but did not work.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what...you send me an email address and I will "enclose" the pictures for you...that's easy for me to do. Anyone else want the pictures...just let me know.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Placergold,
    Turn on your private messages. I'll help you out with the photos.
    Click on the profile button at the top of this page. Close to the bottom of the new page you can turn PMs on or off.
    Thanks for the info. Fertilizer was one of my next questions.
  • Options
    Thanks Phut...I "turned-on" the PM buttons. Who knew?
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, you are paranoid. Yes, some are still soaking in olive oil. Others are not, particularly the 1774 one reale which came out of the ground in real great shape. I'm still at a loss as to how to post pictures. If you can give me a real simple way to do....I'll do it. Also, last week before the rains I found a clothes iron, what looks like the metal part of a quill pen, another musket ball and some buttons. No coins. I am really computer challenged. I tried the linked directions someone...I think laser, had sent, but did not work. >>

Wasn't me. That's ike the blind leading the blind, I don't know either.