Home Metal Detecting
Options

I found a gold ring

Or to be more exact I saw a man lose his ring, watched it fall to the ground. It even bounced off his shoe and he didn't realize it. It was a heavy gold college class ring. I went over and told him he dropped his ring down next to his right shoe, so he looks at the left shoe. No, the other right. He picked up and with a strained thank you he went on his way. Maybe I expect too much from people.
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    Nice job Laserart!!Hey some people just don't know how to respond know a day's,but you did the right thing no matter what.HH,Tom
  • Options
    I would think a simple "thank you" wouldn't have been too much of a strain, but some people are just rude and inconsiderate. The fact that you said anything at all to this loser speaks to your integrity. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is a sad sign of the times when it is so hard to get a Thank You from someone. I have returned several class rings when nary a "thanks"
  • Options
    Unfortunately, that's more the norm than an abberation. Reminds me of a story that happened to me about 5 years ago. I stopped for gas one day. It was several days before Christmas and the spirit of the season SEEMED to be everywhere! I look down as I am pumping, and there lies a wallet. I pick it up, take a look through it and, along with some credit cards and less than $100 in cash, I see the guy's driver's license. Well, I live in a small town and the guy's name was quite familiar. He was part of a wealthy, well known local family. I saw that his address was somewhere near my route home, so I decided I would stop by and drop it off just because I was a nice guy. Besides, I was in the holiday spirit (not full of holiday spirits, mind you!). I get to the house and it's huge and expensive. Honestly, I wasn't looking for some big reward, but a little pocket change DID cross my mind. Anyway, I knock on the door and the guy opens it up and I show him his wallet and explain where I found it. He looks at me for a sec, says a quick "Thanks" (not very friendly about it either) and proceeds to shut the door. I just couldn't believe what an ass this guy was. He acted as if he was doing me a favor by thanking me at all. I should have just left the wallet there and let someone else find it and charge up all his credit cards. I'm sure he would have appreciated THAT! Merry freakin Christmas, baby!
  • Options
    Good Job Laserart!

What matters is that you did the right thing. I've returned several rings, one to a guy in hawaii who lost his 1957 class ring in 1960. I tracked him down and he was super thankful, gave me a gift and wound up getting an article in the paper. He's the 1 guy out of 10 who were appreciative, and I'll never forget his face.

Those sorry sadsacks are full of misery. Lucky for us we have such a great hobby to take our minds off things, and folks to share stories with!

For all you good doers, have one on me

and keep up the good work!!

• Options
    For all you good doers, have one on me

here here!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage