Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I purchase most of my coins from Dealers, but here's why I also bid at auctions alot.

Legend's recent thread re buying through dealers is right on, for a majority of your purchases.

Most importantly, not to buy coins at auction that are regularly available on the floor, or on a dealer's web site.

But there are several current trends that make knowledge of auctions sales, and participation, necessary.

Examples first:

Large high end collections will go to auction, and your end price needs to be the lowest possible. Recently, Hugon Barbers, The Cardinal Collection of Early Dollars, Bruce Scher's top registry sets of Barber proofs, 3CN in MS and proof, type sets of Jung and others.

The Morse collection of Saints

Many dealers are not willing to "pay up" for a special coin that will go into inventory, where they do not have a ready customer. So the owner/collector will need to place that coin in auction. It will probably not be available on a dealer site, so you need to be there(at auction) to have a chance to get it.

Many dealers are also collectors and have, from time to time, special coins that they want to sell retail, rather than to another dealer. Those coins will also go to auction.( I recently tried to buy a special Barber quarter from a dealer's collection, but had to wait for the auction sale).

Caveat: During the first several years of collecting nice(fairly expensive) coins, I relied entirely on a great dealer, then several dealers, and finally after over 10 years of learning, ventured in to the auction arena, both as a seller and buyer.

I would recommend the same training program for most collectors.

TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Dale as to the buying of coins at auction. In building my sets, I have acquired coins through dealers, collectors and my best coins at auction. In February 2004, I purchased selected coins from the Michaels sale that Stack's held which had a few $10 Indians that NEVER come up for sale. I recall paying $240k for the 1920-s in MS66 of which only one better exists (owned by Steve Duckor). I stetched in buying it but I established the value as there hasn't been another one offered and won't be. A dealer would not have bought that coin for inventory as most dealers do not have the capital to inventory such coins.

If you see a must have coin at auction you will have to buy it. Sometimes the opportunity to buy a certain dated coin is rarer than the coin itself. Carpe diem!

I will attend the Morse sale in November as it is my area of specialty. I will compete with the dealers, collectors and billionaires that are supposedly going to be there. Hopefully someone will show up in orange underwear and scare many would be bidders away. Then I will have my chance!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully someone will show up in orange underwear and scare many would be bidders away.

You're on to my tricks!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I guess my purple "he man - Skeletor" underwear may have to be brought into the fray.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold