Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes you get a nice cherrypick. Then sometimes you GET cherrypicked. (Draped Bust half)

2»

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised at the price on this one. The rare variety for a 1806 is the knob 6 on the obverse paired with a reverse where the lower stem of the branch is missing. This coin is not the rare variety. >>

It's shaping up like this may well be the first known coin of an entirely new variety...possibly. That would make it exceedingly rare.

• Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    "Darkside" refers to coins that aren't U.S. coins. "Greyside" coins are Canadian. These terms are used by people on the forums to help distinguish what people collect. Be weary of those who ask you to come over to the darkside. . . image
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for crediting the "discovery" I think 99% of the credit should go to the winner of the auction. A mention of the Bust Guys here that first called it seems appropriate as well. Perhaps a very small footnote about LordM and myself in a funny story of how the coin came to be found but I feel neither of us really deserve any true mention. >>

image We certainly deserve no discovery credit, as we were clueless about the whole thing.

<< <i>Did Cladiator split the windfall with you, LMV? >>

No, nor should he. It's his windfall. However, if he wishes to "throw me a bone" later I wouldn't complain. image I certainly would've thrown him a modest bone if our roles were reversed.

The funny thing is, I might've eventually listed the coin on eBay myself- I sold it at the same time I was selling off some other holey duplicates, as some of you might recall. (Though I was tempted to hang onto that particular half). Cladiator got my Draped half and one of my Draped quarters and Goose3 got one of the Bust halves before the rest went to eBay.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LMV,

Would you care to share any info on how you came to own the coin? It's going to get written up and that is as much of the story as the ebay line.

I very much doubt that new ones are going to pop up as quickly as with 07 115. That obverse was so very similar to 1807 Obv. 3 that it fooled experts. This one is as different in appearance as a new die could be. As to value, if it were properly presented at auction (not the mindless Heritage approach), I'd bet the mortgage that bidding would run it to $5-$10k. Haven't heard yet if this will make it to the new editon of Overton. It's probably too late.

Slumlord98

• Options
    I got it from a dealer at the 2003 FUN show, as I recall. Can't remember the dealer's name. I traded an Irish coin and some world proof sets for it. Figure I had $40-50 in the trade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    So for pedigree we have an unknown dealer at FUN, LordMarcovan, Cladiator, Annonymous eBay auction winner.......who's next? image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Next time please put Bust in the title so I bother to read the thread. I only found out about this thread today.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Actually I think several people that should know about this probably don't as of yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just wanted to say Kudos to BarnDog and Nysoto for catching this one.

edited to add: I wish you guys had noticed it while it was still up for auction! geeez lol
  • Options

<< <i>Actually I think several people that should know about this probably don't as of yet. >>

They do now.image
  • Options
    Cladiator told me about this link. Wow, cool stories.

I am the new holder of the 1806 half. Afraid its current accommodations aren't nearly as nice as lordmarcovan's Holey Coin Vest.

Cherrypicked!? I only bid on it because of it's nice toning. image Four years ago I started looking for new varieties. With the quantity of sellers on eBay I figured coins would come to light that had never been viewed by experts, and that new varieties were bound to be out there. In the excitement of the early going I found several "new varieties". Excitedly I bid $2000 on new 1794 large cent. After I won it, I realized the photo in the guide book was wrong, and that the coin was a common variety. (Fortunately there were no other equally enthusiastic bidders, and I won the lot for $50.) On another occasion I found a new die marriage, only to discover that the seller had mistakenly posted the obverse and reverse of two different coins. I also discovered "new varieties" that were the product of tooling, or hyperaging of reproduction pieces, and one large cent so worn and damaged that I'm afraid no one else will confirm that it is new variety, let alone a large cent. I came to appreciate the words in Walter Breen's Half Cent book that "things are seldom what they seem". I stopped looking so intently, but I didn't lose all hope. (In fact there's a new variety of 1795 dollar on eBay right now. Hmm.., I wonder how high I'll go? image )

When I saw the the 1806 half, I took a pass through the Overton book, and when I came to the last variety without finding a match for the obverse the familiar heart palpitation started. I double checked and checked other sources, in case there was an error in Overton, and still couldn't find a match for the obverse. At this point one starts to get a little greedy, like gollum, and I silently cursed Cladiator for such stellar photos. image I was surprised and very excited when the bidding didn't go higher.

As for crediting the "discovery", I don't know how these things work. Like Cladiator I like to be cautious. (The authenticity hasn't been confirmed. We're working on getting some experts to take a look at it.) However, for the sake of discussion, I can say that I wasn't the first to identify it as a new variety. When I bid, I knew what it wasn't, but I didn't know what it was. I was unable to find a photo or description of O-128, so figured the holey half was either O-128 or a new variety.

Cladiator and lordmarcovan, I'll treat you to lunch if we ever meet. image

p.s. Hope nysoto forgets to start looking at holed coins. image
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I am not convinced this is a new overton variety. The wear on this coin is considerable so some of the details needed for identifying the coin by the overton variety are missing. This may just be a well worn common die marriage.

Bust haves have been well researched by overton and others. It would be very unlikely for a new die marriage to just pop up.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    colridge - Outstanding! I'm really glad you signed up and went public with the coin.

Merc - Although I am cautious I am realistic and this coin is strongly pointing towards a new variety. They do come up every now and then. Do you remember the discovery coin 1807 Draped that Baley found not too long ago?
  • Options
    colridge - Turn on your PM function so people can send you messages image Also, you may want to make a new posting on this subject with an appropriate title to draw in the right people.
  • Options
    Cladiator, thanks for the reminder of Baley's 1807 half. I completely missed that post from last Feb.
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options

<< <i>I am not convinced this is a new overton variety. The wear on this coin is considerable so some of the details needed for identifying the coin by the overton variety are missing. This may just be a well worn common die marriage.

Bust haves have been well researched by overton and others. It would be very unlikely for a new die marriage to just pop up. >>

Look at how close the upper star on the left is to the L. None of the known obverses has such a tiny space between. Also, there is a huge distance between the lower star on the left and the date, more so than other obverses.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking on the phone with a freind of mine who shall remain nameless, but does know quite a bit about the value and variety attribution of early draped bust halves and capped halves, and he feels the coin is definitley the new 0-129. He estimates the value at 8K to the right buyer. Un real!! and it has a hole.

• Options
    I'm a bit late, but I finally brought my Overton book to work so I could check this coin (no computer at home). I was wrong with my first guess. Even though it is well worn and has a hole in it, it does not match any known Overton variety. None have star 7 that close to the L in Liberty. Congrats to the new owner for seeing this!
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I want to collect die varieties and have some funimage
  • Options

<< <i>I want to collect die varieties and have some funimage >>

Buy the Overton book first.
  • Options
    colridge - thanks for signing up and sharing your story. Congrats!
    Bill
  • Options
    If you're looking for an Overton wait a little bit and the new 4th edition will be available.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey LordM, I've got an 06 on the BST. Perhaps I missed the attribution..... come "cherry-pick" me. Do you feel lucky? image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Less than a month after getting it, he decided to put it up on eBay. Apparently it was a scarce variety, unbeknownst to either of us.

Would one care to divulge exactly what he GOT for it?image

The suspense is killin' me.

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe the parties involved can post more permanent references (as opposed to ebay links that are outdated after 90 days or so) and pics to help keep this thread as a valuable reference?
  • Options
    Yeah ok, I'll post up the pics from home tonight.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thread about dealers having hurt feelings when cherrypicked reminded me of this. Collectors should be thick-skinned too if they get a fair price (or more than fair price) on a sale even if cherrypicked.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i love cherriesimage

but i will ALWAYS share with the tree it got picked fromimage
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I need to get the overton book!!!!!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I need to get the overton book!!!!! >>

I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Where can I get that latest edition??
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the cherries are still out there, as this thread and this one demonstrate.

A cherry doesn't need to be a huge R8 discovery, either.... it's still pretty cool to cherry an R5 variety for "type" price

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander---The Cunning Realist
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    you are all (with the exception of a few rotten ones) my little cherries on these here boardsimage
  • Options
    As promised here are the pics.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing red x phenomenon. Am I the one?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Well, this thread is showing its age so some of the pics have probably gone bad, and the eBay link has no doubt long since gone dead.

Here is the story from the BHNC perspective, with pics.

I was not interviewed for it but most of the facts are accurate, aside from some of the info about my Holey Coin Vest and Holey Gold Hat.

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Wow how did I miss all this...image...thanks for the update Rob.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file