Home Metal Detecting
Options

Dad Left Me This Detector

My dad had this metal detector and I have it now. It is a Landstar Bounty hunter. Is this worth taking out and using or should I just hang it up?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    My first thought is "how interested are you"? If you are willing to hang it up before starting then you may be already defeated.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    You misunderstand. I was refering to the metal detector model. Is it uasable or is it junk?

Mark
  • Options
    I don't know much about that model, do you have experience with another machine you could compare it to?
  • Options
    How old is it?
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Go! Go!! image

(but be warned, before you know it there's no turning back! image )
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hey Mark, welcome to the board! I have a Bounty Hunter and I love the darned thing. It's very light weight and for the money it's an awesome machine to learn with. I agree with Zot, once you get out there and find your first anything, you'll be hooked for life! Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    The Bounty hunter is a good detector to start with. It will teach you the basics. Go to their website and download the manual and read read read. Learn the detector. In no time you will be making finds and will be hooked. You may even end up buying a high end machine down the road with more bells and whistles image Either way...GOOD LUCK!

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    The Landstar is not a bad model. I have the same model and it does a good job at finding pennies, dimes, and quarters. It will not go very deep. I usually find things at 4" to ground level. Learn how to tweak the discrimination and you will cut out a lot of the junk, but you really should get used to the sounds of each and evry type of metal so dig everything. You will learn in most cases what you are about to dig after some practice. Pay attention to the sounds and how they react to all metals. -Dan
  • Options
    thanks for the info... I will let ya know how it works

Mark
  • Options
    cool.