'63F Clemente
'63F Clemente rev

'67T Twin Terrors
'67T Twin Terrors rev

'83Fritsch Puckett
'83Fritsch Puckett rev

Any speculation on grades?

I'll let you know the results.

I may be selling the '61 Mick and '67 Terrors to raise funds...

hh

Comments

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Mike..................That is a nice looking card on the '83 Fritsh Puckett.........I think you will get a Psa 9 or 10 on that one ! image.........The '61 Mantle , I'm guessing a Psa 4.............'62 Mantle - Psa 5................'62 Brooks Robinson A.S. - Psa 7 ..............63 Fleer Clemente ( Great Centering ) - Psa 6 .............'67 Twin Terrors - Psa 8.................Hope you do better than my guesses ! image................Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    61 Mantle....................4
    62 Mantle....................5
    62 Brooks....................6
    63 Clemente................5
    67 Twins......................7
    83 Puckett...................8

But hopefully they bump them all up one or two grades image

Good luck, Bob

EDITED: typo
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Mike B,

61 Mantle PSA 4
    62 Mantle PSA 6
    62 Brooks trimmed or PSA 6
    63 Clemente PSA 7
    67 Twins Terrors trimmed
    83 Puckett PSA 9

Good luck!!

Damian
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback on the possible grades. I'm usually overly optimistic on the grades I expect. It's fun hearing others' opinions!

ST206, that's interesting you mentioned the possibility of two of the cards being trimmed. Both of the cards were purchased locally from a reputable shop that's been around the whole 16 years I've lived in Oregon. If they come back (un)graded as such, I'll definitely be making one last trip back to that store looking for a refund! But, I'm hoping that's not the case...

hh
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Love that Clemente.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Mike,

I could be wrong, just going off my gut. The dealer is probably honest and just didn't know, if they indeed are trimmed. It happens.

Damian
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    T206,

I agree with you on that 67, that was the first thing I thought was the right border had been trimmed, miss collecting those and those corners on that one do look sharp and nice white borders.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stingray,

I am pretty sure on the 67. Borders are too thin and the card just has that trimmed look that I have come to know when I see it. Mike B- Did you measure this card before you sent it in? If not always, always measure. Before you buy preferably. Don't be so hard on the 16 year vet dealer. If he has been in the business that long he probably is honest and like I said was just innocently ignorant. Unless he deals (submits himself regulary not dables on high end stars) in PSA graded stuff. My favorite dealer where I live has been in business almost 30 years. He is as honest as they come, but I know he has sold cards out of his cases that were trimmed. He is old school and just didn't know. I trust him, but I measure just to be sure. Thanks for posting the cards. I love "grade my card threads". Again best of luck!

D
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of the Twins Terrors card and even before it was 1/2 visable I thought it looked like the borders were on the small side. I like the Puckett and was recently outbid on one (maybe that one?!?!) I think the Puckett gets a "9".

Good luck!

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Mike B,

61 Mantle PSA 4
    62 Mantle PSA 6
    63 Clemente PSA 7
    67 Twins Terrors trimmed
    83 Puckett PSA 9

Good luck!!

Damian >>

Damian,

Dang you're good! Here are the results of my club sub received 10/4 and posted today, 10/13:

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 31285983 1983 FRITSCH VISALIA OAKS 6 KIRBY PUCKETT N/A 9
    2 31285984 1967 TOPPS 334 TWIN TERRORS B.ALLISON/H.KILLEBREW Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
    3 31285985 1963 FLEER 56 ROBERTO CLEMENTE N/A 6
    4 31285986 1962 TOPPS 200 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 5
    5 31285987 1962 TOPPS 468 BROOKS ROBINSON ALL STAR Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
    6 31285988 1961 TOPPS 300 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 3

I'll be taking the two trimmed cards back to Mitchell's BBCs in Beaverton, OR. I'm going to ask to talk with the owner or manager on duty and let them know they need to do a better job of selling cards at the grades advertised. I won't even buy supplies there any longer...

hh
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike B,

61 Mantle PSA 4
    62 Mantle PSA 6
    63 Clemente PSA 7
    67 Twins Terrors trimmed
    83 Puckett PSA 9

Good luck!!

Damian >>

Damian,

Dang you're good! Here are the results of my club sub received 10/4 and posted today, 10/13:

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 31285983 1983 FRITSCH VISALIA OAKS 6 KIRBY PUCKETT N/A 9
    2 31285984 1967 TOPPS 334 TWIN TERRORS B.ALLISON/H.KILLEBREW Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
    3 31285985 1963 FLEER 56 ROBERTO CLEMENTE N/A 6
    4 31285986 1962 TOPPS 200 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 5
    5 31285987 1962 TOPPS 468 BROOKS ROBINSON ALL STAR Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
    6 31285988 1961 TOPPS 300 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 3

I'll be taking the two trimmed cards back to Mitchell's BBCs in Beaverton, OR. I'm going to ask to talk with the owner or manager on duty and let them know they need to do a better job of selling cards at the grades advertised. I won't even buy supplies there any longer...

hh >>

That's really lame. The grading standard that dealer's use has never beenas stringent as the one used by PSA. Never.
  • Options

<< <i>That's really lame. The grading standard that dealer's use has never been as stringent as the one used by PSA. Never. >>

Boo, ain't that the truth!! I'll never know if the dealer knew before selling the cards that they were trimmed. If they offer me compensation of some sort, I may do business there again, but it would be my word against their's. I also purchased quite a few 1962Topps high numbers from the same store. Now I'm worried if they're the real deal or not...

hh
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to ask to talk with the owner or manager on duty and let them know they need to do a better job of selling cards at the grades advertised. >>

if the dealer recently sold you trimmed cards , if they are an honest dealer then they should be appoligetic and give you your money back. especially a local dealer. if the cards came back ex/mint and he said they were nrMint , you don`t have a complaint as you saw the cards before you bought them and thoughtthey were nrMint also. if he said nrMint and it came back a 9, would you pay him more. If you send something to a 3rd party grader, the dealer that you bought it froms only obligation is whether it is unaltered , not to the grade. in this case he probably didn`t know they were trimmed and should give you your money back if it was in a reasonable time frame and should give a sincere appology.

I had 3 cards come back trimmed once that I bought from an online store from a top notch dealer that I trust and he was very appologetic and gave me a full refund and a discount on some other stuff to help cover grading fees . I continue to buy from him and am always happy with the purchases
  • Options
    I took the two trimmed cards back to the dealer I bought them from today. Unfortunately the owner was at the coast and won't be home until next week. I'm going back next Saturday to talk with him.

The guy working at the store looked at them and agreed they were trimmed. He said the owner would definitely be offering me a refund on the cards. I told him I was glad to hear that, but another reason for bringing them in was to warn them of a shady supplier they may be doing business with.

I ended up dropping by another card stop, buying some cards and talking with the owner there. After I told him the story about the trimmed cards, and showing them to him, he said he'd be emailing the other cardshop owner -- because they're friends!

To be continued...

hh
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everything is gonna be OK Mike - the guy should want your continued business.

Good luck - I'm looking forward to your final report
    Perhaps the guy will give you some kind of compensation for your trouble?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    All right, Mitchell's Baseball Cards! They came through with flying colors in handling this trimmed card business. They were not happy to hear about the trimmed cards and were more than happy to make up for it with me. They told me I could pick something else out to replace the cards so I loaded up on sleeves and toploaders to start putting my '63T set in. I ended up with more than I paid for the cards, was ready to pay a little cash, and was told to not worry about it. So, I ended up with more value than what I originally paid for the cards. Great service!! I'd recommend them to anybody.

FYI, the website for Mitchell's is:

http://www.mitchellscards.com/

Hope you all have such good luck with your dealers/suppliers! image

hh
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking about buying a 1966 Topps Mantle. It looks like a solid PSA 7, maybe 8. Attached is scan, does it looked trimmed? I measured the card in 3 places and it is exactly at 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".

The card is dead centered and the corners are reasonably sharp. It is the nicest one I've seen. It's almost too nice to be raw. I'm not an expert in 1966 Topps, so I'm not sure if the borders are right.

BTW - The dealer that has it, does not submit cards for grading.
    Mike
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    ndleo-without seeing it in person, it's usually pretty tough...I will say that the to edge looks awfully razor sharp. There seems to be some paper left over on a couple of the corners which sometimes happens with any Topps issue and sometimes happens from the "hooking" of having been trimmed. Do the edges (card tipped on an edge) look extra clean and unhandled? is one better or worse than the rest?
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - The dealer that has it, does not submit cards for grading. >>

nd, it does help to be able to personally inspect the card (which I'll be doing more in the future!). It's really obvious when you can hold a card that you suspect may be trimmed against a regulation-sized one. That's what I had the guy at Mitchell's do...it leaves no doubt.

hh
  • Options
    ndleo,

The hooks on the corners concern me a little, but it also looks like that is just how light corner wear on the card is appearing in the scan. The edges don't look wavy and the card doesn't look to sharp. I would judge on the side of not trimmed from the scan. If its not then I would say solid 7. I think the chances of an 8 are slim to none unless, the grader had a few at lunch. Ask the seller the history of the card. It may also shed some light.

Damian