Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

100 Point Grading Scale

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can be in favor of finer grade divisions when the current ones aren't reproducible..

Because, if it's a 64.5, sometimes it will grade 64 and sometimes 65, so it isn't reproducible, because you're limited to a whole number and depending on the team, they will give you the whole number or not, so you can keep sending it back and it will come back 64 or 65 in an arbitrary and capricious manner. But if you can go between the grades, it will more often grade 64.5. THAT will be reproducible, and you can keep sending it back, and it will keep coming back 64.5, because it's neither 64.0 nor 65.0, it's a 64.5.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>Why do you say that? The big price jumps are caused by demand created by number chasers. Number chasers won't go away, so the demand will still exist for the higher numbers. I don't understand how anyone can be in favor of finer grade divisions when the current ones aren't reproducible.. >>

Because there are more gradients in the scale, the slope will be smoother

For example a MS65 would become an MS92 and MS66 would become MS94 and there are now two points instead of one.

So if a MS65 was worth $500 and a MS66 worth $1000 the new prices would be
    MS92 = $500, MS93 = $750, MS94= $1000

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand how anyone can be in favor of finer grade divisions when the current ones aren't reproducible..

Because, if it's a 64.5, sometimes it will grade 64 and sometimes 65, so it isn't reproducible, because you're limited to a whole number and depending on the team, they will give you the whole number or not, so you can keep sending it back and it will come back 64 or 65 in an arbitrary and capricious manner. But if you can go between the grades, it will more often grade 64.5. THAT will be reproducible, and you can keep sending it back, and it will keep coming back 64.5, because it's neither 64.0 nor 65.0, it's a 64.5. >>

Having more grading points won't make it more accurate. Your 64.5 will also come back 63, 63.5, no grade and 58, too. And after the 30th submission when it comes back 65, it will be locked into an overgraded holder. In this case, the 1/2 point divisions may cause more gradeflation and unsalable overgraded coins than currently exist.
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382

<< <i>NO !image We are working with 10 MS pts at present
    and there are enough problems already. More numbers=more disagreement.image >>

Actually the current is an 11 point MS system...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    my hunch is that this is just the start of the dis-information campaign i forecast. at any rate, if the opinions of this forum mean squat, it should be apparent that most are against any change and that the root justification for any change is strictly financial enhancement

That's the way I'm seeing it too.......
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    It's a good thing money isn't divided into 100 point increments. Some would never survive. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file