Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1969 Topps Man on the Moon

This set is a 55-card set issued in the winter and spring of 1968-1969 in anticipation of the Apollo 11 flight in July 1969. The set was reissued late in 1969/early 1970 after the moon landing. In the re-issue Topps added 44 cards to bring the total to 99. The fronts of the first 55 are identical, however the backs changed. In the original issue, the cards are numbered 1A, 2A,... 55B. The backs form a puzzle and the A and B tell which puzzle they belong to. In the reissue, they are numbered XX of 99 CARDS PUZZLE A so it's easy to tell them apart.

Here's a sample (from my own submission)

Here's a sample of an original release and a re-issue.

Scans of all cards in the original issue can be found in my registry set.. Eventually I'll get around to scanning all the card backs as well.

Anyone else out there collect this set?

Robert
Looking for:
Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
High grade Redskins (pre 1980)

Comments

• Options
    Interesting. So PSA even labels the re-issues as such and has it as a separate registry set.

Great cards!
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Robert
    Very nice cards - I saw a lot on ebay earlier this year; I read the fine print, put 2 and 2 together and realized that what was being offered was the entire 55 card set. I got it for a song - do many people consider this set only complete at 99 cards?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I don't know that many people who collect this set so I don't really know how others feel about the "completeness" of the set. I see one set as the original issue (55 cards), one set as the re-issue (99 cards), and then there is the OPC version(s). I have never seen an OPC card, so I don't know if they are the series of 55 or 99 or both. OPC wax packs are frequently up on Ebay.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Neat set. It's a real piece of history. Unfortunately, I remember it all too clearly.image Thanks for posting.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    WOW! that PSA 10 is a beauty!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat set. It's a real piece of history. Unfortunately, I remember it all too clearly.image >>

Like yesterday - that day was a real story for me, but I won't jack this thread to tell it.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I have a feeling that the story involves an older woman.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Nice set!
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Nice cards. I have a box of unopened packs from that year. Any idea as to what they're worth?
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Frank,

A wax box typically sells for $350 - $400, however, this one just ended at $676.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Looking for:
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice RB!!

machodoc is into this set as well.