Home Metal Detecting
Options

Dropping coins

I have always asked myself how could anyone lose a coin back in a day when it was actually worth something? How could a person not know they had lost a quarter or a dime or any coin for that matter. Sunday I was experimenting with my Ace 250 and I had knelt down to dig a hole about 6" deep. I had reached into my pocket to pull out a silver coin and then drop it in the hole and cover it up. I wanted to hear the defined ring it would make. To my surprise I had lost a nickel. I didn't have a clue I had dropped it. Mystery solved.
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    In my case this mystery was solved a few months ago when I dug a nice coin (only a 1920's copper, but in exceptionally good condition).
    I had it in my hand, but when I was about to put it into an old sock (I carry a few with me for storing better finds (to avoid damage) until I get home), I dropped it and didn't find it again!!!
    It could have bounced off my leg/foot or off a root, but must with certainty have been within a few feet. I swept the area multiple times (also without discrimination) but didn't find it. Eventually had to give up due to darkness. This episode still bugs me today... image

(And yes, I checked inside my shoes, pockets, etc as well.. without success)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    That's like having a fish jump back into the water after you've caught it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    That would suck. It hasn't happened to me yet, and hopefully it won't happen. I"ll just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dropping coins. How about dropping keys!

One day I was artifact hunting on a favorite local site. This farm field was just over 90 acres with a nice creek running along it. I walked it for over 4 hours looking for arrowheads and was having much success! It had rained pretty good two days prior which for me was fortunate, because when I got back to my car I unloaded all my pockets of rocks to find that I didn't have my keys!! I knew that I had them in my pocket before I entered the field so off I went to find my keys.

After two and a half hours of retracing my muddy shoe prints I finally found them!!image
    If the ground had not been muddy , I would have never found them with no way to retrace my tracks.
    Now I always leave my keys on one of the tires on the car.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    LOL....how about this one.......I was metal detecting around an old school we have here and I found a 1904 Indian Head cent in pretty nice shape...Well after about 30 minutes or so a passerby came up and asked me how I was doing. "Pretty good", I said, "I found a 1904 Indian head just over there", pointing to the area I found it. Well , I stuck my hand into my little tool pouch, and guess what?....No coin. So I managed to find an Indian Head cent and lose it in the same day.....I was sick..image